[tirrigh-heralds] Lily discussion

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:41:36 PDT 2007

> An Tir uses Order of the Lily for the inspiration of the runner-up in
> Crown Tourney. That is where we stole the name from. So cannot use Lily
> on it's own as that is a direct conflict with An Tir.

I don't care what they call it, An Tir only owns the award names
Silver Lily and Permicious Lily (also Lily Pernicious).  These are the
registered Lily names of the SCA:

# Argent Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to Meridies, Kingdom of in
September of 1995 (via Meridies).
# Calon Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to Calontir, Kingdom of in
October of 1982 (via the Middle).
# Gilded Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to Winter's Gate, Barony of in
November of 1982 (via the West).
# Lily Pernicious, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to An Tir, Kingdom of in August
of 1987 (via Laurel).
# Mountain Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to Ered Sûl, Barony of in March
of 1998 (via Atenveldt).
# Pernicious Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to An Tir, Kingdom of in April of
1982 (via Laurel).
# Silver Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to An Tir, Kingdom of in February
of 1999 (via An Tir).
# Water Lily, Order of the
    * This order name was registered to Marinus, Barony of in August
of 1992 (via Atlantia).

Of the above, the one that does directly conflict with the simply
'Lily' or 'Lily of Tir Righ' (or any other branch name), is the Calon
Lily, as a branch name reference is not enough to clear conflict.  So
should 'Lily of Tir Righ' or somesuch be desirable, we ask permission
to conflict with Calontir.  I might have some second-party clout we
could tap for that.

Someone was looking for local lily types - that only works if the
plant was also found in period Europe or was a New World type
well-known to period Europeans.

There's nothing at all wrong with having another Lily.  The trick is
keeping it simply and finding something catchy enough to use that's
clear.

- Teceangl