[tirrigh-heralds] Client Tracking database

Richenda du Jardin richenda at cet.com
Thu Jun 7 20:47:52 PDT 2007

The birthdate was only required so Laurel could tell the difference
between two submissions when the mundane names and SCA names match.
Because of the mobility of our society now, address is not a reliable
indicator of identity. I was working on Laurel staff when the SCA name
were the same on name submissions (there was some uncertainty at the
kingdom level as to whether or not the submission had been forwarded)
and the mundane names were the same. While the addresses were different,
that was not a good indicator that the people were different (for
example, I've lived at five different addresses since 2002). When the
birthdates were compared, they were different, so we were pretty sure
the people were different.

While the field asks for birthdate, Laurel doesn't really care as long
as the date that the submitter will use will always be the same.

Richenda