[tirrigh-heralds] What a cool idea!

Quentin Martel quentin at shittimwoode.org
Mon May 28 22:45:39 PDT 2007

Isn't it great? :)

When we moved to the Principality domain, the obvious choice for the list
was HYPERLINK "mailto:heralds at tirrigh.org"heralds at tirrigh.org,  but that
would be really confusing with my address, HYPERLINK
"mailto:herald at tirrigh.org"herald at tirrigh.org. So we went for an address
that emphasized the college. I think it works out rather nicely!

Another cool idea that's coming to fruitition this week is the use of titles
for the heralds of Tir Righ, specifically giving titles to the positions of
Silver Yale's staff.

One of the neat haraldic tricks that we get to use for the titles of our
heralds is that any name that we've passed for Principality awards are
automatically available for use as a heraldic title. So far, we have three:
the Hafoc, Red Flame, and Silver Pillar. More are on the way, but that's
another work item on the books for the college.

So I sat down with many of our heralds this weekend and really thought about
what award connected best with what position in the college. Red Flame, our
persona development award, fit very well with the consulting herald. After
all, passing a name and device is a tremendous part of developing one's
persona. Our consulting herald, Patrika Theocharista quite agreed and thus I
named her position the Red Flame Herald.

Hafoc fit far, far too well for the contingency deputy. That choice was
clear to both me and Uilliam. Thus Uilliam mac Fearchair is now Uilliam
Hafoc.

The Silver Pillar is our service award which honestly fits for all of our
heraldic positions. As the size of a Principality or Kingdom goes up,
however, there are clearly two positions that become tremendously huge:
submissions and the order of precedence. Red Flame fits well for submissions
as outlined above and so I felt that Silver Pillar would go to the OP
deputy. I will admit that my personal background in the An Tir College of
Heralds as Dexter Gauntlet probably made me lean that way. This worked for
Yolande as well and she is now Yolande Silver Pillar.

We have two staff positions without titles: our Field and Town Crier herald,
Master Uilliam, and our Court Herald, which is currently vacant since the
Coronet chose me to be Their retinue herald.

Master Uilliam is working on the name for his position. I'm sure he'd
appriciate input if anyone would like to give some. And I know that I'd
appriciate input into ideas for the title of our Court Herald.

Note that the intent of these titles is to attach a title to a given
position. I would love to see a time 5 years from now where people around
Tir Righ hear the Silver Pillar Herald and automatically think about the OP!

- Quentin Silver Yale

   _____