[tirrigh-heralds] Some thoughts following September Coronet

Uilliam mac Ailene mhic Seamuis uilliam at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 11 19:42:03 PDT 2008

Unto all the heralds here foregathered, plus anyone else who's hanging
about, greetings!

Pursuant to the College of Heralds meeting at September Coronet, and
having opened my big yap there (like anyone was suprised, right?), I
thought I'd kick the post-meeting ball off.

One of the things I want to see put together, and which somehow I'm now
supposed to be organizing, is a "Policy and Procedures" manual for the
College of Heralds. The way I see it, it should be a compendium of
knowledge regarding all kinds of procedures, policies, heraldic customs
and so on and so forth, so that anyone who is, or is thinking of
becoming a herald can look this stuff up.

So far, I see it comprising the following main areas:

1)  Definition of the heraldic offices, from Silver Yale Principal
Herald on down. We don't have a lot of deputies yet, and I personally
don't believe we necessarily need to duplicate every office that Kingdom
has, but we do need to examine the heraldic functions and determine
whether we want to carry those out, and whether the size of the
principality warrants making a specific deputy, or if some of them can
be lumped together. An example: at Kingdom, there is Lowenmahne Herald,
a job I used to have, which was the deputy for field and town crier.
Since I left the job, the town crier function has been split off to a
pursuivant-level because the size of the Lowenmahne job had grown to the
point one person just couldn't do it all. That's the sort of thing I
mean. At our size, we probably don't need to split it off, but I would
say we certainly need both the field herald and town crier functions.

2) Statement of heraldic policies. This section will probably be
prefaced with a statement to the effect of "subject to Their Highnesses'
whims", as they may decide for good and sufficient reasons of their own
to either promulgatge new policy or change existing ones. I (being the
opinionated git that I am) have several very strongly held opinions
regarding heraldic policies, mostly to do with voice, ceremony and
protocol. I've started compiling these thoughts together, and will put
something up in a bit. I would strongly, strongly, *strongly* encourage
every other herald in Tir Righ (and those Kingdom heralds who hang out
here as well) to offer their thoughts and opinions. I feel we should
debate and discuss  these things so we can then come to some agreement,
present it to Silver Yale and get his word on it and so he can then
present it to TH for their comments. I feel it's also worth pointing out
again, as I did at the meeting, that new royalty may well find this sort
of thing a "comfort zone" to have accessible, to know how the College's
defaults are set up, if you will. That way, if they decide they do want
to make changes, they at least know where they're starting from.

3) Customs goes hand-in-glove with the policies, but I separate it out,
as this should be where things relating to heraldic custom and pageantry
go. Some of this will be information which may be duplicated elsewhere,
and I'm good with that, or else including it by reference; a case in
point might be the Order of March for the Coronet Lists. This would also
cover things like customs within the College, such as perks of office
for various deputies, ceremonies of and involving the college, such as
creating a new herald, distinctions of heraldic rank, announcing the
College as part of the procession at Crown Lists (we didn't do this, and
I didn't think of it until the Invocation of the Lists was underway...)

Anyway, lots of stuff, and a lot of it which will probably
cross-reference to the Ceremonial, about which I also have several
opinions, but I will defer to Her Excellency Bernadette, as that's her
bailiwick. I'd like to close by saying that if anyone has any ideas for
stuff in these categories, or categories I've missed completely, I would
*love* to hear from you! I would also strongly encourage you to share it
here on the list so that everyone can benefit from it.

Yours aye,
Uilliam
No office, just opinions - lots of them.