[tirrigh-heralds] My Name, Device and Badge: My thoughts and findings so far

Wulfstan Hrafnsson wulfstan.hrafnsson at gmail.com
Wed May 12 01:14:39 PDT 2010

Hi all!

I decided that a good way to learn this stuff would be to do a (relatively)
full conflict check on my own name, device and badge.  I've included my
thought process and sources for such findings as I've come up with, so any
double-checking that anyone is willing to do would be remarkably
appreciated.  I'm good at second-guessing, but seldom in a useful way.

Here's what I am looking at submitting for myself:
*
Name: Wulfstan Hrafnsson*
*
** This fits the [given] + [patronymic] pattern for Norse names given by the
Kingdom of the West College of Heralds in their article at:
http://heralds.westkingdom.org/ClassHandouts/CommonNamingPatterns.htm#ByCulture.
I'm not registering a byname until I've done something sufficiently
remarkable or silly to earn one in common usage.

* Neither part of the name has another form listed as a conflict issue by
Laurel:
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/precedents/CompiledNamePrecedents/ConflictTables.html

* "Wulfstan" appears to be supported by Bardsley, 331 (1996 ed; reference in
entry on "Gouldstone") and by Searle (1969 ed; entries on 188, 506 and
519).  All appear to be 10th century, as is my persona.  There were also two
11th century Northumbrian bishops of the name, one who died in 1023 and was
Bishop of London and Worcester and Archbishop of York, and a St Wulfstan
(1008-95).

* If someone could check out Geirr Bassi re: "Hrafn" and/or "Hrafnsson" I
would be most appreciative!  I might even make cookies!  I don't have access
to a hard copy at the moment (though I haven't been to the library as yet)
and Google Books doesn't have it, though it does have a couple of other
topic books that use it as a source.

* I have found a College of St Gabriel report supporting "Hrafnsdottir" as a
patronymic; would this then also support the similar use of "Hrafnsson"?
There is also one supporting "Hrafn" alone as a male given name.

ACADEMY OF SAINT GABRIEL REPORT 3143
http://www.s-gabriel.org/3143

ACADEMY OF SAINT GABRIEL REPORT 3198
http://www.s-gabriel.org/3198

* I realise that "Wulfstan" is an English name and "Hrafn", used as a name,
is Norse (it mainly seems to be Icelandic; though "hrafn" is also the Old
English for "raven" it may not have been used as a name in England in my
period).  This would be my weirdness.  Some would say that's not my only
weirdness, but it's the only one pertaining to my name.
*
Device: Per chevron azure and argent, two wolf's heads erased to sinister
argent and a Celtic harp vert.*

Potential conflicts:

   - Bleyddyn ap
Rhys<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Bleyddyn%20ap%20Rhys>
      - The following device associated with this name was registered in
      March of 1992 (via
Caid)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1992&m1=March&y2=1992&m2=March&kC=checked>
      :
      *Per chevron <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=per+chevron>
azure<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=azure>and
      argent <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>, two wolf's heads
      erased <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=erased>
argent<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>and a
      drakkar <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=drakkar>
sable<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=sable>
      .*

As far as I can tell, I'd have only 1 CD from this.  Unless I get points for
both the form and the colour of the secondary charge?  Does the facing of
the wolf's heads make any difference?  Suggestions?  I'd be really good with
adding a chief or a bordure or something ridiculously easy like that.
Alternately I guess I could try to track the guy down and ask for permission
to conflict....

With a chief I'd need to be sure to avoid conflicting with:

   - Seamus MacOwen of
Kirkhill<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Seamus%20MacOwen%20of%20Kirkhill>
      - The following device associated with this name was registered in
      January of 1984 (via the
Middle)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1984&m1=January&y2=1984&m2=January&kM=checked>
      :
      *Per chevron <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=per+chevron>
sable<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=sable>and
      Or <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=Or>, two wolf's heads
erased<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=erased>
      addorsed <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=addorsed>
argent<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>and a
      mullet <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=mullet>
azure<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=azure>,
      and on <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=on> a
chief<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=chief>
      Or <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=Or> three lozenges
azure<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=azure>
      .*

But it looks clear to me (1 CD for field colours, 1 CD for mullet vs harp, 1
CD for lozenges on the chief).  Yes?

I'm also okay making the field division nebuly or wavy or some such, or
going per saltire and adding a harp, having the harps in pale and the wolf's
heads in fess, which I think is still 2 CD from:

   - Anne Kent <http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Anne%20Kent>
      - The following device associated with this name was registered in
      March of 1985 (via the
Middle)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1985&m1=March&y2=1985&m2=March&kM=checked>
      :
      *Per saltire <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=per+saltire>
azure<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=azure>and
      argent <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>, in
pale<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=in+pale>two foxes' masks and
in
      fess <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=in+fess> two
roses<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=rose>
      counterchanged <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=counterchanged>.*

(1 CD for placement of canine crania, 1 CD for harps instead of roses... oh
and 1 CD for reversing the field division colours I suppose... I guess that
blazon would be: "Per saltire argent and azure, in pale two harps vert and
in fess two wolf's heads to sinister"?)

Actually the per saltire arrangement is more or less my second choice, and
if clear where the per chevron is not, probably what I'll go with.

I *think* I've also got 2+ CD's with:

   - Oriel y Cwn <http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Oriel%20y%20Cwn>
      - The following device associated with this name was registered in
      December of 1995 (via
Trimaris)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1995&m1=December&y2=1995&m2=December&kT=checked>
      :
      *Per chevron <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=per+chevron>
purpure<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=purpure>and
      vert <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=vert>, a
chevron<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=chevron>between two dog's
heads
      erased <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=erased> and an oak leaf
      argent <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>.*

(1 CD for field colours, 1 CD for that chevron, 1 CD for the oak leaf)

Overall, harps look pretty clear, and if I never have to conflict check
something with dogs in it again, I'll be okay with that.  I think I looked
at about 500 devices and badges on that charge type alone.

*Badge: Fieldless, a wolf's head erased to sinister argent charged with a
Celtic harp vert.*

Potential conflict:

   - Nikolai Domingo de
Vallejo<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Nikolai%20Domingo%20de%20Vallejo>
      - The following badge associated with this name was registered in
      August of 2009 (via
Ealdormere)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=2009&m1=August&y2=2009&m2=August&km=checked>
      :
      *(Fieldless <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=fieldless>) A wolf's
      head bendwise <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=bendwise>
contourny<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=contourny>
      erased <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=erased>
argent<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>
      .*

I'm not really clear on what the term "contourny" means, so I'm not sure if
this would have a conflict with my proposed badge.  I also don't recall if
badges need 1 CD or 2.  I know the tertiary charge will help, but I don't
know if it will help enough.

Okay, teachy-learny time: what have I missed?

Wulfstan

PS. Thank you to Mistress Alicia and Tecangl for the resources used to check
this stuff out.