[tirrigh-heralds] Plausibility of surname Orkneyskaia

Joan Kew bogfairy at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 13 13:05:54 PDT 2012

Hi Dori,

Have you seen this precedent? #2:

http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=175&loi=454

Hawise

----- Original Message -----
From: "Morel Carr Zupanic" <bear_necessities at telus.net>
Cc: "AnTir Heralds" <antir-heralds at antir.sca.org>, collegeofheralds at tirrigh.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:50:59 PM
Subject: Re: [tirrigh-heralds] Plausibility of surname Orkneyskaia

Hawise wrote:
First (for Dori), what is her chosen time period?

Second (for anyone), if her time period involved a different spelling of
Orkney, would that spelling have to be incorporated into the name, or would
the modern spelling be [SCA] permissible?

She didn't give me a specific century, but her backstory is consistent with
the 8th to 10th century.  According to that not-so-awesome source,
wikipedia, the name Orkney comes from well before that.  I found a website
that doesn't give dates, though does mention eras, and it states that during
the Norse settlement (on another page, at the same site, it does say 8th to
10th c.), the Island grouping was called  Orkneyjar
http://www.orkneyjar.com/placenames/orkney.htm

This could get tricky.

Dori