[tirrigh-heralds] Now, about my name

Basil BasilD at lavabit.com
Fri Jun 7 15:26:32 PDT 2013

On 6/7/2013 1:30 PM, Runescope wrote:
> So, seeing as most if not all of the wrinkles seem to have been ironed out
> of my Arms design, at least enough where I can submit it and see what
> happens, the next step is to fix my name. :D
>
> A friend of mine suggested that I try an alternate spelling of Thane, and go
> with the old English version of Thegn.
>
> That would be totally acceptable to me.

Thegn is totally not allowable. Please see the Approved Administrative
Handbook, Appendix C (1), the Standards of Evaluation of Names and
Armory, PN.4.A and PN.4.B.1 (2), and the List of Alternate Titles (3).

The long and the short of it, "Thegn" is a "protected and/or
restricted rank," and thus cannot be used in a name. "Thane," since it
has an identical or nearly identical pronunciation is problematical.
As it says in SENA PN.4.B.1, "Attested given names that are identical
to titles and forms of address may be registered in contexts that make
it clear that they are given names and not titles."

Thus, to use "Thane" you will have to show that it was used, in
period, as a given name, and then use it in a way that dos not seem to
be a title.

OTOH, if you're willing to use a form of "thane" as a *last* name, you
can point to the Middle English Dictionary, which has some examples
under s.n. thein (4). The spellings used are "Tain", "Thein", and "Theyn".

(1) http://heraldry.sca.org/admin.html#APPENDIXC
(2) http://heraldry.sca.org/sena.html#PN4
(3) http://heraldry.sca.org/titles.html
(4)
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED45109&egs=all&egdisplay=open

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Erō mītis cum sim mortuus.

THIS LIFE IS ONLY A TEST.
In the event of a Real Life you would be told where to go and what to do.
THIS IS A TEST. REPEAT: THIS IS ONLY A TEST.

Disobedience is Mandatory!