[tirrigh-heralds] Device check.

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Fri May 31 09:42:35 PDT 2013

Unfortunately, this design ("Quarterly Or and vert, in bend a cross
[type?] gules and a wolf rampant sable") gives the appearance of
'marshalling' (combining two people's devices into one), which is not
allowed.
For more information on marshalling, see
http://heraldry.sca.org/sena.html#PN4.
This particular configuration can be found in section A.6.F.2. Designs
which Create the Appearance of Marshalling subsection c. Multiple Types
of Primary Charges which says: "When different sections of the field
contain different types of charges, it creates the appearance of
marshalling.  For example, Quarterly gules and azure, in bend two
crosses crosslet and in bend sinister two roses argent creates the
appearance of marshalling, as does Quarterly vert and erminois, in bend
a badger and a fleur-de-lys argent. Per pale argent and sable, a unicorn
sable and a dragon Or combatant creates the appearance of marshalling.
In each case, the different types of charges create the appearance of
marshalling."

Consider changing the line of division from quarterly to per saltire
('X' instead of '+') as that would eliminate any appearance of
marshalling.  The charges could then be in the top & bottom sections, or
side by side.  (I haven't conflict checked.)

Also, I'm wondering if the slight flair at the ends of the cross may be
an issue.  I may be remembering incorrectly (and am unable to check at
the moment), but I think there was a recent submission returned because
of a similar cross that didn't fit any of the defined crosses.
Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny this.

In service,
Alicia Red Flame