[tirrigh-heralds] Style and Conflict check please

Basil BasilD at zoho.com
Tue Apr 29 11:10:02 PDT 2014

On 4/28/2014 4:27 PM, jdharcus wrote:
> I found this in one of the Academy of Saint Gabriel reports (#2028): <Ai/fe>
> (early spelling) or <Aoife> (late spelling) may not have been used by real
> people in our period. O Corrain and Maguire list it, but only cite
> legendary/literary examples. We have found no example of it otherwise. The
> Pelican Queen of Arms ruled Sept 2002 that it is not registerable without
> further evidence. See http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/2002/09/02-09cl.html,
> under the heading "From Pelican: Registerability of the Name Aife/Aoife".

That's was overturned in May 2010:

Aoife inghean Tuathail. Name.

     There was some question regarding the registerability of the name Aoife.
This name has previously was ruled unregisterable (in the Cover Letter for the
09/2002 LoAR) lacking evidence of this name used by humans in period. Since that
time, evidence has been found this name in the 11th - 13th C. Two women with
forms of this name are dated to 1166-1173 and 1227 in "Index of Names in Irish
Annals: Aífe / Aoife"
(http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/Aife.shtml).
Additionally, Colm Dubh "The Ban-Shenchus: A Dated Index" (KWHS, 2003) lists 5
women with this name:

         Aife (fl. 12th)
         Aife ingen Uguaire (ob. 1112)
         Aife ingene hUi Ogaon (fl. 12th)
         Aife mathair Con Criche (ob 1042)
         Aife mathair Diarmada (ob. 1072)
         Aife mathair Gilla Padraig (ob. 1042)

     Based on this new information, we are overturning the previous ruling. This
name is now registerable as a feminine name used in the 11th - 13th C. The
standard Middle Irish (c. 900-c. 1200) form of this name is Aífe and the
standard Early Modern Irish (c. 1200 - c. 1700) form of this name is Aoife.

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Help out, please: http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/rowanchisholm

Erō mītis cum sim mortuus.

My reality check was returned for insufficient funds.