[Hartwood] The Hartwood Armada

Jamie j_amazon at telus.net
Sun Jul 24 19:10:13 PDT 2011

Greetings Good Lords and Ladies,

We have less than 2 weeks to go before the fun begins. We will have
rapier, heavy and archery competitions with many fun prizes set to
go. There is also some fun family activities in the planning by our
new deputy for family activities (formally childrens activities,
formally pied piper ).  Bardic activities in the evening while we
relax and visit.

So, please join us.

Avast, me hearties! Down yer tankards and join us, for the Armada is
about to set sail. Kiss yer lover and spouse farewell, both; promise
them booty if ye must but be here Aug 5-7, with yer letter of marque
or no. Aye, there will be hand-to-hand combat on land and a-sea
(trans.: heavy and rapier fighting, likely boat, plank, and tavern
battles: mutiny? "Take on the Capt."? "salvage crew"?), and archery.
Vessels will be challenge...d in looks and in sailing (floating!)
skills.
-----
Our annual event with fighting, archery, boat races, and fun! We will
have camping at Camp Gilwell again right on the river, woods to camp
in, that great short archery range. And much more.

Contests:
Boat Contest and Boat Race
Rules for making the Boats:
Boats may be constructed out of any materials; remember, they must
float! The boats do not need to be to scale, but should be 12" to 18"
in length. Boats must be of a period design. The race will be run in
heats; the winner of each heat will advance to the finals. Boats are
not to be powered by any means other than sail. Boat owners are
responsible for the retrieval and removal of their own boat. The
contest is open to all ages.

Prizes will be awarded for
the best documentation
the best-looking boat
the overall winner of the race

Site Info:
Discreetly damp (period containers only).
Permanent biffys; potable water available.

The grounds have a creek running through it; please keep track of
your children, and supervise them at the streamside.

Off the ground campfires, open flame (torches, candles) are subject
to fire hazard conditions at the time; we will know the hazard level
that week.

The Details
Site fees: $15.00 per adult; $5 ages 6-18; under 6 free.
Day fee: $8.00 per adult; $5 for 6 to adult.
Make cheques out to "SCA - Shire of Hartwood".

Site Directions:
Camp Gilwell (Scouts of Canada)
5200 Comox Logging Rd., Courtenay, BC
Other info: //scoutdocs.ca/Camps/Camps​.php?camp=gilwell

 From either north or south of Courtenay:

Take the new Inland Highway (not the coast scenic drive) to the
Piercy exit, number 127 (for those coming from Victoria, this is past
the Courtenay exit); you can only turn one way, towards town.
Follow the curvy road to Forbidden Plateau Rd. where you turn Right.
Go to (more curvy road) Duncan Bay Main Rd. and again turn Right.
Go about a short city block to the Camp Gilwell Park entrance on the
right.

(Directions from Courtenay to come. There is currently construction
on the usual road.)

NOTE: there are no stores within easy distance! Stock up in town!
Smoking is permitted by the pumphouse only.
Site opens at 4 p.m. on Friday, and closes at noon on Sunday.
Fire restrictions are as indicated by the fire marshal.

Event Steward: Kjartan kráka (Jamie Prowse); email j_amazon at telus.net