[Hartwood] Fwd: [AnTirApprentice] Scadianisms in feast season, "it's course of course, remove remove" :)

doerksen at island.net doerksen at island.net
Wed Oct 12 11:03:28 PDT 2011

I thought you might be interested...

Halima
--
http://www.island.net/~doerksen/

----- Forwarded message from raphaellad at yahoo.com -----
     Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:32:02 -0700 (PDT)
     From: Raphaella DiContini <raphaellad at yahoo.com>

After a discussion last weekend with some foodies I realized just how
widely spread the perception is that "remove" is a more historically
accurate pre-1600 term than "course" for courses at feasts. Please
note that there is no judgment intended if people choose to use the
term remove- like "dragon" "smalls" "far-talker" "bard in a box" it's
something that we've created and woven into our created culture. I
just wanted to share the information so it's out there. :)

This was written by Dame Alys Katharine of Ashthorne Glen who so
graciously came a taught a TON of classes at this last Culinary
Symposium- including a virtual tour of the Hampton Court kitchen,
sugar plate and others.

http://home.pcisys.net/~mem/course.html

I love the final summary paragraph:
" How were courses served, especially to high table? How were the
foods presented? Were they garnished and made fancy or did the cooks
just send out filled bowls? What is practical or impractical to
re-create in today's world? Let's research these questions! As SCA
armor, for example, has progressed from freon cans and plastic barrels
to more accurate metal and leather re-creations, so we should be
progressing in cookery. It is quite easy to use the term "course"
instead of "remove" the next time one is involved with a feast. The
printer won't object to printing "course" instead of the inaccurate
term! More accurate armor increases the medieval feel of our
tournaments. The nicer the armor looks, the more other fighters want
to have something like it. The same applies to feasts and cookery. If
our feasts have the look and feel of medieval times eventually others
will want to do the same and we will have increased our knowledge of
how people cooked and ate. "

In joyous service,
Raffaella

----- End forwarded message -----