[Hartwood] book count - labels...PLEASE READ & RESPOND

Valorie Lennox vlennox at pacificcoast.net
Tue Sep 20 10:13:52 PDT 2011

I do have a book underway but have been waylaid by extra hours/projects at
work. Going to South Hartwood A & S tonight and will hopefully finish it and
will try for a couple more. I'm still working and now attacked by a cold
virus, so not promising.

What I have also been doing is sorting-sorting-sorting the uncial type I
had, since the consensus at an A & S some weeks back was that would be nice
for the inside labels. After spending countless hours sorting type so I
could use it, I tried a layout last night and it didn't work (sigh!).

I now have fancy little engraved capitals (bought from Don Black Typesetting
in Toronto, arrived last week) that I want to use
and the uncial didn't work with them. I don't yet have initial letters that
would match the uncial, so I've switched to black letter.

On the plus side, the uncial is now mostly sorted and the downstairs corner
cleared for the print shop, so it is all inching forward...
This is a totally new venture for me and I'm on a steep learning curve so
your kind patience is appreciated. ;-)

The very simple wording I'm proposing is:
------------
Given by their Highnesses,
Prince & Princess of Tir Righ (no names, so the books don't become dated if
they're not all used in this reign)

(space - name could be filled in here or it could be left blank...either
will work)

Created by
(space - name could be filled in here or it could be left blank...either
will work. I realize some people are already signing their books elsewhere.)

Shire of Hartwood
(insert hart and wood cuts) A.S. XLVI

------------------------

The initial G in 'given' and C in 'created' are the fancy engraved capitals.

Any changes, let me know ASAP. Please note that the black letter is not
entirely sorted so I am having to hunt to find each letter.
So yes, this is a gentle hint that I'm reluctant to make it any wordier than
it is, in part because it also has to be small.

Also, could someone-in-the-know send me a size that would work for every
book? The plan is to have them printed and ready at coronet so they
can be added to either the frontpiece or backpiece of each book before they
are presented.

Again, I'm not sure what element of Murphy's Law is waiting to strike...so
this is an attempt...

Keep well,
Elspeth

  _____