[Hartwood] A&S: Largesse Project Update

canzonet3 canzonet3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 22:46:37 PST 2012

 North Hartwood A&S had a great night tonight!

We tested out 5 different folding styles of vademecum and 3 different
styles of stitching, and have settled on what looks to be the best 2
combinations for the upcoming largesse project.One will be an
accordian-style fold suitable for a perpetual calendar/date-book with extra
pages in the back for notes.  It will have one-piece sewn-in cover which
can be tied together at the bottom for protection.

The other is suitable for any number of uses.  I'm afraid the decision as
to whether to do a slide cover or a bound cover is still up-in-the-air on
this one...  we've some time to make up our minds yet.

I'll be folding and sewing a few more examples and mailing them out to West
and South Hartwood before the weekend is out. :)

Next stage:  Finalising text selections, choosing a typeface, and finding
volunteers to do the typesetting.  With this project it is not necessary to
do all the stages of a single vademecum - help anywhere along the process
is valuable!
(Later we will be looking for people to do very small illuminated initials,
marking and cutting paper, folding pages, sewing the books, sewing the
covers.)

Should anyone be interested in participating, please contact your local A&S
coordinator.
West Hartwood:  Symonne
South Hartwood: Scathach
North Hartwood: Cecille

While the adults were working on the vademecum project, Joye and Miranda
were in the kitchen working on the Youth portion of the largesse project
under the auspices of Family Activities.

They're doing the test batch for period 14th century oyster shell paint
palettes.  The finished piece is edged in gold paint and presented in a
cloth bag with a small printout of the history of the item.  As a potential
gift, it seems very representative of our Island home, yes?
The girls spent much of the evening scrubbing and boiling shells.  Once the
test batch is completed, Joye will be sending out examples and detailed
plans to South and West Hartwood for the Youth there to get involved in
some beachcombing and crafting for this project.  Parental or adult
involvement is necessary for parts of the process.

Happy New Year and happy creating to you all!
- Cecille