[Hartwood] The Shire of Hartwood: How you can help.

John Mail lionsgater at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 23:23:44 PDT 2012

The Shire of Hartwood: How you can help.

We all understand that life is busy and often disposable income is a great setback for all the things we wish we could do but taking those two things into consideration there is still a great deal we all can do to support our Shire.

1.       Attend events. Events are our greatest source of income and they provide a benchmark for the health of our group. We spend money up front with hall rentals and such and it weakens us financially and spiritually if the bodies just don’t show.
A.      Autocrats, please make sure there are things for everyone. We want members from all interests to have a reason to attend your event.
B.      Carpool, daytrip, and plan in advance. It was quite common for my wife and I to bring a cook or a babysitter to an event with us as we were extremely busy teaching, autocratting, or competing. Our assistant would get transportation to the event, site fees covered, food, and occasionally a few dollars for their work.
C.      If you want something bad enough you will find a way not find excuses.  Work together.

2.       The next best way you can help is with the offices. The majority of deputy officer positions are usually learning positions with little actual responsibility. Consider taking on a deputy position in your area of interest or contact your Seneschal and I will work with our officer team to come up with a position for you.

3.       Buy your SCA membership. Again good planning so you can afford it. Your membership allows you to be an officer, an event steward, marshal, as well as prevents you from having to sign waivers or pay NMS fees. It also is how the SCA Inc decides how healthy we are and at some point will use our memberships as part of the criteria for eligibility for Baronial status.

4.       Consider hosting workshops or weekly gatherings at your home. Nothing brings a group together better than a good stitch and bitch. Besides, as I’ve said before, if you volunteer your place for meetings you don’t have to drive.

5.       Hartwood’s word-fame has always been strong but it gathers even more glory as we travel afar. Even if it just a trip to Seagirt or False Isle try to work out of area trips into your budget. Again, work as a team, travel together to balance costs, whatever is needed. Let’s come up with ideas together to see if this can be made easier.

Yours in service,
John Macandrew, OP
Seneschal Hartwood