[Hartwood] Investiture: Classes

Hartwood hartwood at tirrigh.org
Tue Aug 19 10:58:28 PDT 2014

Second in the series of Investiture emails, this one is about the University of Tir Righ classes being offered.

Tir Righ August Investiture

August 22 to August 24, 2014
Shire of Hartwood
	Lighthouse Community Center & Lions Club
	280 Lions Way, Qualicum Bay
Event Steward: Cunegonda (dbevan at topfloor.ca)
Calendar Page: http://antir.sca.org/Upcoming/index.php?Event_ID=2583
Tir Righ Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2232126177/ (Can be found under 'events')

University of Tir Righ Class Schedule:

SATURDAY

9:00am to 12pm (part one) - break - 1:00 to 4:00pm (part two)

Introduction To Natural Dyes
Instructor: His Lordship Topher MacKenzie
6 hours
Class Fee $20
Minimum 4 students/Maximum 10 students
Students need to bring 12 skeins of white or light coloured wool approx 10 yards each, Apron, Gloves, labels and water proof markers.  One 100gr/3.5oz. ball of wool will be enough to make the 12 small skeins.

Students will get an introduction to three natural dyes, (Woad, cochineal, and turmeric) dyeing four skeins in each dye pot , achieving different results with the use of mordants or additives.

We will walk through premordanting the wool for better adherence of the dyes.  Preparation of the dyes through various methods such as grinding, chopping and cooking the dye baths. Finally an after bath that will once again offer a different colour from the the rest.

Woad was the source of the dye in Europe since Neolithic times, and it appears that the plant was introduced into Europe for this sole purpose at the same time as farming spread from the Middle East.
Cochineal was introduced from Mexico to Europe following the Spanish expedition to Mexico in 1518
Turmeric is probably best known for its spicy flavor and the bold yellow color it gives to curry. Along with coloring foods, it has been used as a dye for both skin and clothing

9:30am to 11:30am

Chivalry & Etiquette
Instructor: Baroness Letitia Talbot
2 hours
No Class Fee
Minimum 1 student/Maximum 10 students

This class is intended to assist the student to participate more appropriately in the Current Middle Ages. Discussed will be the SCA general behaviour including how to behave in the presence of royalty, and terms of address.

10:30am to 11:30am

Introduction To Dance
Instructor: Lady Athelina Grey
1 hour
No Class Fee
Minimum 5 students/Maximum 20 students
Students need to bring feet and ears.
Why dance? What was it for and why do we do it? What sorts of dances were for what occasion?

Conventions of Dance. How to hold hands, the girl is always right, unless they're improper. Be gracious and kind.

Court Dances - the Pavanne step and how to make it not terribly boring. (I kid you - it's just boring.)

Dancing in a line or circle - A Bransle (usually Baron's Bransle, possibly another if I feel like it). We can step from side to side!

12:30pm to 1:30pm

Introduction To Wood Carving
Instructor: His Lordship Kjartan Kraka
1 hour
No class fee
Minimum 1 student/Maximum 2 students

Students will learn the basics of wood carving by carving a spoon.  Introduction to knife technique and basic safety.

2:00 to 4:00

Charter Layout and Design
Instructor: Viscountess Thora Golvik
2 Hours
Fee: $2
Min/Max: 1/10

Ever wondered who makes those beautiful scroll designs? This class will give people information on how to do charter blanks for awards, including what things to include and what to avoid.

3:00pm to 4:00pm

Introduction To Armoured Combat
Instructor: Lord Dmitrii Ivanavitch
1 hour
No class fee
Minimum 2 students/Maximum 10 students

- learn about necessary equipment, safety, and training;
- understand the role of the marshal (equipment and how marshals interact with fighters);
 - understand the protocol for the observer;
- be introduce to the concept of chivalry on the field;
- recognize modes of combat (tourney VS war, etc.).

Sunday

10:30am to 11:30am

Introduction To Games In the SCA
Instructor: Lady Athelina Grey
1 hour
Class fee $3, provides students with paper game boards, and glass game tokens.
Minumum 3 students/Maximum 8 students
Students should wear shoes appropriate for outside

Board games:
1. Fox and Geese (maybe with a couple variations?)
2. Nine Men's Morris
3. Tablero

Active games:
Two of:
-bocce
-tierce
-hunkerdown

Introduction To Rapier
Instructor: Baroness Letitia Talbot
1 hour
No Class Fee
Minimum 2 students/Maximum 10 students

- Overview of how the rapier came to be;
- learn about necessary equipment and safety
- learn the basics of the blade;
- understand the role of the marshal (equipment and how marshals interact with fighters);
- basic overview of the different masters/countries
- learn basic stances.

11:30am to 12:30pm

Basic Knotwork - Plotting and Squiggles
Instructor: Lady Athelina Grey
1 Hour
$1
Minimum 1 Student/Maximum 8 students
Students should bring pecils with erasers

Learn how to plot out basic knotwork patterns. Follow some simple rules and your knots will always meet up. Great for drawing borders.