[Hartwood] volunteer scheduling - cultural days committee

Hartwood hartwood at tirrigh.org
Thu Jun 19 19:45:21 PDT 2014

I have to admit, m
y comments re. scheduling of the organizing meeting were influenced by two
recent experiences with other volunteer-based Nanaimo  groups.

The first was a service club. The self-employed President and a retired
member committed the group to an ongoing volunteer slot on a Wednesday
morning...and for the next two years, they had to plead and cajole and send
around emergency emails and phone calls trying to get people to show up
because the majority of club members couldn't make it during working hours.
This was Rotary so quite a few members did own their own businesses BUT they
had to be at the office/store/job site during working hours. (Quite a few of
us couldn't figure out why on earth the committment was renewed for a second
year after the first year proved that only 10% of the club members - most of
whom happened to be retired - were available to volunteer on a Wednesday
morning.)

The second group were local church members mostly aged 70-plus who
desperately wanted to bring in younger, working members able to contribute
more financially and physically to the church but who scheduled almost every
activity - other than the church services and occasional rummage sale - for
between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday to Friday.

So yes - I agree there are more variable schedules out there but even so,
from what I've seen locally, the majority of people still tend to be working
on a Wednesday afternoon - hence the organizers of this event are shutting
out that group as potential organizers/volunteers.

Of course that has nothing to do with whether or not we participate - I was
just remarking on it because the meetings are nearby and if they were
scheduled outside office hours, I might have considered attending.

It may still be worth doing...numbers will be an issue, as others have
already noted.