[Hartwood] Events

Danielle Bevan dbevan at topfloor.ca
Tue Oct 7 01:10:35 PDT 2014

This comes from a conversation on Facebook, but it evolved into something that I thought was important enough to bring to the email list. So, snip snip~

We had/have (likely) 3 events happening in Port Alberni. War, Yule, and a bid for TUTR. It's been observed that apparently all the good sites are north of Nanaimo (not true), and that we don't hold events in Courtenay anymore.
This has nothing to do with sites. It has to do with event stewards. In Courtenay, the only person putting on events is Halima -- she deserves a break. I put one on in Qualicum Bay. Kjartan, from Denman, has put on events in other locations, which is HARD. In Nanaimo, only Elspeth in the last few years has (Sextus did try! Life happened.) In Port Alberni it's been Symonne, Sarah and Liz. If I'm missing an event steward in the last three years, please let me know! And most of these people if they aren't Stewarding, they're co stewarding. Or acting as head of Gate, or Dean, or... To this list I would add the Mail's, who work their butts off behind the scenes of nearly every event too.
Stewarding is a lot of pressure, not gonna lie. When someone complains that an event isn't happening in their area, I have only one response: Great, where's your bid? Because we need them. Liz is putting in a bid for TUTR; I'm running an archery retreat in June. We have no expected bids for Sept. camping or Yule. We have no expected bids for any other event -- not a games night, tavern, picnic, nada.
November is the last meeting before our AGM, and where these bids should be available for feedback. October would be better. We decide in January. So, is there going to be an event in your area? You tell me!

~ Cunegonda