[Hartwood] Motto, Tokens, and Offices

dbevan at topfloor.ca dbevan at topfloor.ca
Tue Aug 23 00:51:47 PDT 2016

Greetings! At council a few things came up that require some audience participation. :D

1) Motto: One Heartbeat won -- by a single vote. It was damn near a 3 way tie. So thank you for your previous participation! When we toast to the Shire, lets raise our voices, and our new motto!

2) Shire tokens will begin rolling out at Sept Championship, and then at Yule. Some are earned by meeting requirements, but some require the populace to recommend recipients. At this time, I am asking for recommendations for two tokens (more to come later): Internal Service,to be called "Sable Hound" (our own people who have provided solid service to the shire) and External service (Someone from outside the shire who has helped us a lot) to be called the "Stags Mark". Please write to me with recommendations, which should include Your SCA name, Their SCA name, The token you want to recommend for them, and reasons why: Seneschal at hartwood.tirrigh.org. Some things to note:

i) EMAIL ME. DO NOT FB MESSAGE. I have folders of correspondence I look back on. This is really important to me for organizing, and passing on the info to the next Seneschal.

ii) To avoid a 12th-night-esque 12 hour audience, I'd like to limit recommendations to things done since we amalgamated.

iii) Likewise to avoid a 12 hour audience scenario, I may space out some token giving between the next two events. Just because someone doesn't get the token at champions, doesn't mean the aren't on the list, buuuuuuut.....

iv) it doesn't mean they are on the list. WRITE RECOMMENDATIONS. It is the duty of all people to spread the wordfame of those around them, to see their good works and report them. If you need help on how to do that, contact any experienced member and they'll be happy to walk you through it.

v) Please come to the audience in Sept. I know some people like to dodge such official occasions, but it means more when your friends are being recognized, in front of their friends. Especially if you're the one who praised them. And if I have to hunt you down, Imma be cranky, and NO ONE wants that. ;p

3) There are several officer positions opening up. You've already seen Rapier (immediately) and A&S (for Jan 1st). Unfortunately I find my health tanking, and instead of the denial technique (didn't work so well for me last time!) I'm going to step down, take it easy, and try to get back into the swing of things sooner. Seneschal will also need to be filled for Jan 1st.

I want to just say it has nothing to do with the rigours of the job, which isn't that bad! For one thing, we have an -amazing- team on council, a responsive and supportive boss, and a terrific populace. I love you all, and will be happy to serve again when my health allows.

 Communication is important. The more accessible you are, the faster you are able to respond (especially to event stewards), the more successful you'll be. FB chat gets used -a lot-. ;) You have to be a friendly nag -- get those reports collected, while respecting that Life Happens. Make occasional tyrannical decisions when wheels are in danger of being spun. Be grateful, always, for everything the people in our community do, even if they do it differently than you would. Encourage new ideas. Listen to sage advice. Know that we are all friends, and there is a shire filled with people who will help when you ask -- but be prepared to ask directly. You don't have to memorize the rules, but you have to be able to reference them. The Exchequer is your best friend and strongest ally and advisor. Prioritize projects, and check in occasionally, set deadlines if you have to, and trust that people will rise to the occasion of you give clear guidance.

Seriously, Hartwood is awesome, and I am very proud to have been a part of it's Council. Please consider offering your SCA resume and services, and become a part of building a strong community. I would like to begin training my replacement between September and the new year.

Thank you all for being awesome,

Cunegonda, Seneschal of Hartwood.

One Heartbeat!