[Hartwood] March Council

D Bevan dbevan at topfloor.ca
Sat Mar 26 18:43:50 PDT 2016

Just want to thank everyone who came out to our Council and Garb workshop -- especially those who coached the rest of us in our garbing quest: Alienor, Cecille, and Katrina especially.

We talked about a lot of things. We had a terrific post-mortem on the Newcomer's event, identifying all the many things that went well, and some things we could do to make it more awesome next year. We got updates on some of the Shire projects, many of which are coming along great. We discussed a new demo opportunity with the Elder College up on Courtenay, the potential for Hartwood's own 'allthing' style practices in Nanaimo as the weather warms up, and an Insula Magna Fall Faire style event proposed for October (Start growing those heritage veggies now!). We've also discussed Hartwood's participation in Sealion War; if you can attend, please contact Sextus for information on how you can help our efforts.

The minutes will be posted in due course, but some of the topics I want to pull out for conversation.

1) We had 85 submissions for mottos, many of them tongue in cheek -- council has whittled them down to 5. I am going to have the latin checked before we submit them to the populace, but there will soon be an online vote. Lady Katrina has kindly offered to assist those gentles who are offline with getting their vote submitted. This will happen over the next few weeks.

2) Our tokens committee has reported a lot of progress! It's entirely likely that we will be putting their designs out for comment this month as well. I'm excited to get this done, so we can resume showering appreciation on our populace.

3) After having a chat with our Prince when he came to visit I got to thinking about the role Households play. His experience is very different than my own, in that Households played a major part in his development and interest in the SCA while I've never been a part of one. But I know we have households, or representatives of larger households, in our Shire and I would like for them to feel both more included and perhaps more inspired to participate. I certainly want to see the influx of newcomers find mentors and community.

Consequently I am forming a Dula Council (sp?), as an advisory council to me, the Seneschal! Heads of houses (or a local representative appointed by the head of house) will play a role, which we will determine together, in our joint growth. Participation is optional of course, but I would hope that there's some interest. I would also encourage members to have a chat with the Prince if they have the opportunity to hear about how Households can play a vital role in our Society. As I said, it was a very different perspective from my own experiences.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or ideas, feel free to contact me. The next council meeting will be:

Sat April 23rd, 12:00
240 Lions Way, Qualicum Bay