[Hartwood] TUTR Recap

Danielle Bevan dbevan at topfloor.ca
Sun May 1 20:31:45 PDT 2016

This last weekend was a bit of a blur, so many things happened, so many things learned!

Traffic made us a little late to the hall; we didn't get out on Friday to pick up the groceries we needed for the next day; the Embellisher's challenges didn't happen on Friday (I didn't even think about it until it was well past time and someone reminded me), I realized that judging 8 competitors at an event where everyone is -in class- all day was going to be a logistical nightmare; we couldn't figure out how to make the griddle not-nuclear-powered...

And just when I'm standing there, gritting my teeth and trying to figure out how I can duplicate myself and do all the things, there's Ulf, or Gwynafel, or Mamagunda, or Papagunda, or Symonne, or Cecille, or John, or Aline, or... etc. Asking me what they can do. I'm pretty overwhelmed by how supported I was this weekend, by all of these amazing friends of mine. (Seriously guys, Ulf and Gwynafel fed my family all weekend and went to grab groceries for us -- twice! And instead of closing gate when I was in class, Ulf and Aline covered it. Yaaaay~)

The Embellisher's challenges -did- happen on Saturday. Cecille and Halima guided me on how to judge these, and Gwynafel and Sigrun were both kind enough to allow free reign in mapping out suggested paths for them. Both of them passed their first rank, are half way through their second, and will likely be onto Journeyman before you know it. I learned a lot through my participation. Thanks to all involved!

Speaking of judging, and Cecille... So, I probably should have told people I've never participated in an A&S competition in any way shape or form before. I've watched others do it, and felt intimidated by the process, and just never done it myself. Cecille was indispensable. She helped my find documentation and created judging guidelines; she taught me how to guide the oral presentation with leading questions; she taught me what to take into account and how to sift out the extraneous; she taught me how to ask the right questions, and how to evaluate the answers. It was a very eye-opening experience, and one I'd do differently next time... but there may be a next time. After all, I just learned how to do it!

The Craftsman has been decided, but is a secret. It will be announced at the June event! Huge thanks to all our judges -- Cecille, Desamona, Sigrun, Vincent, Topher and Taliesen. Thank you to all who entered!

There was a potluck. It was delicious. What more to say? Except that Aniko needs to make the mongolian beef again, I practically had to lick the pot to get any it was so popular!

It was a special treat to have Laurelin providing some musical atmosphere at dinner -- she even let me pluck at her harp a little, try out her beautiful flute (which I covet), and suggested a great music book (which Cecille just happens to have... eeeexcellent). In terms of atmosphere, the painted sheets made their debut, and even though it was just one end of a large hall, it made such a good impression. Very happy with them!

On top of all of these things, there also happened to be classes... I kept running into students excited about what they'd learned, no matter how long they'd been in the Society. For some, there were missing bits of information they didn't know they needed to know; for others, inspiration for larger projects in the future. Instructors! You were amazing, and your students are very grateful. And especially to those who travelled to be with us, from Seagirt (Diamante, James, Desamona) and Danescombe! (Taliesen and Topher.)

Setup and cleanup crew are so hard to keep track of -- so many people just getting the job done, out of sight. Gwynafel, Freydis and Mamagunda sweeping the floors; Elizableth and her students, and then Papagunda and John tackling the monumental task of cleaning up the kitchen, Symonne washing the floors in the bathroom, many people moving tables around, etc. We did a walk through of the hall after, and the hall manager was delighted with how we left it. We hold dear our reputation for leaving a place better than we found it, and we definitely achieved that.

Finally, in unofficial news, the pancake breakfast was a success... well, in terms of fund raising. Didn't figure out the right batter consistency until the very end. -My- pancake was delicous. *coughs*

The event was a great success because of all the hard work so many put into it. Huzzah to Symonne, who decided to learn how to organize classes by tackling a full TUTR right away. Because thats what the deep end is for, right? Jumping into? Heh.

~ Cunegonda