[Hartwood] Question for Port Alberni Members

Jean Clark innchaos at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 26 09:49:38 PDT 2017

Not much at the moment though Symonne and I discussed some ideas. I have offered to teach some skills like cheese and artisan bread  making, food preservation as well doing some cooking sessions.  Other people have different skills and of course there is always the good old stich and bitch.
To be honest there is always so much going one outside the SCA we get distracted. We often hang out together though.
Unfortunately my latest obsession is making homemade chocolates which is not really SCA but still delicious.

Port Alberni has lots of non SCA stuff to do too. There is also a Black Powder and Regency group in town.
We camp, swim and boat  (I just got a kayak) We have the inlet and plenty of lakes. The long boats are always looking for crews. We also do a lot of hiking and there are plenty of trails. Some of us are involved in Art Matters.
There are local music venues...The Rainbow Room and Chars Landing have lots of performer's and there are also open mics for singing and spoken word, karaoke and craft nights, and we have a great local theatre. We also have plenty of events throughout the year especially in summer and fall.
In the winter it rains a lot but you get use to it. (Our motto is Smile Through the Rain.) Amber, my youngest and I walked to The Hole In The Wall on Easter Monday and even though it was pouring down rain we passed lots of people doing the same. The warm cuppa hot chocolate afterwards warmed us up just fine.
We have no mall and retail kind of sucks but it is a small town. I can go practically anywhere and run in someone I know.
I guess what I'm saying is you get what you put into it. You can sit at home and complain or get out, make friends and have fun....Or you can stay at home, work on your yard or garden all day and have your friends over for a bbq and swim when you're done...We do that one alot.

The thing I always liked about the SCA, is no matter where you go, you know someone. I moved to Port Alberni and I already had people to make me feel I belonged... and you can now say the same.