[tirrigh-heralds] Ceremonial creation process

Quentin Martel quentin at shittimwoode.org
Mon Jun 4 16:17:09 PDT 2007

Greetings unto the College of Heralds of Tir Righ from Quentin Silver Yale!

One of our duties as a College of Heralds is to provide the Coronet with a
ceremonial. This ceremonial is the default ceremonial that the Coronet can
use should They so choose or if They would prefer not to write Their own
ceremony from scratch. Additionally for those Coronets who want to write
Their own ceremonies, we still need to provide support and guidance to Their
efforts.

The process of making a ceremonial for the Principality has been ongoing by
many, many hands for my entire tenure as Silver Yale. Many ceremonies have
been written, some have been used, but all of them suffer from one major
drawback. That drawback is how do we know if that ceremony is good,
sufficient, correct, and accepted by the Principality?

In order to answer this question, I am proposing that we endorse and enact
the following process.

We create a ceremonial committee. This committee is comprised of 5 members:
Silver Yale, the Tir Righ Court Herald (or another staff herald if there is
no Court Herald) and 3 at large members. I would like the committee to be as
diverse as possible. Both genders represented, Royal Peers, people who have
served as a Landed Baron or Baroness, Court patrons, Retinue members, and so
on. This committee needs to be familiar with what works for a ceremony from
many different perspectives.

That committee will make a list of requirements for our ceremonies. Here is
my starting list:

A Tir Righ ceremony must

- Honor all Principality, Kingdom, and Society traditions

- Perform the ceremony it claims

- Be easy to perform

- Be neither too quick nor too long

- Take into account positions of those involved

- Have people make proper entrances and exits

- Be performable even if major artifacts are missing

In order to add, delete, or change a ceremony in the official Tir Righ
ceremonial, someone comes forward with a ceremony to add, wordings to
change, or the call to delete a ceremony from the ceremonial. Anyone can do
this. If Viscountess Amanda wants a change in the ceremonial, this is what
she does. If John the Great Newcomer wants to write a ceremony to be
evaluated for the ceremonial, he can do so!

The committee gets between 2 weeks and a month to evaluate the ceremony. A
simple majority vote is needed to get the committee's recommendation. If it
passes the committee, the ceremony is sent to the Coronet for Thier
approval. If the Coronet approves, the ceremony is added to the Tir Righ
ceremonial.

Note that this doesn't stop the Coronet from using Their preferred ceremony.
Rather it gives our Coronet the solid backdrop of a consistent and agreed
upon ceremonial that They can use as They see fit. Also, this ceremonial can
have multiple different ceremonies that do the same thing, just in different
ways.

What this does give us is an agreed upon process to make our ceremonies
official. Rather than having to get buy off from everyone, we have a body
that is designed to evaluate our ceremonies, charged with the responsibility
to do so, and given the power to carry out that job.

This is my proposal to the College. Please let me know what you think!

- Quentin Silver Yale