[tirrigh-heralds] Ceremonial creation process

Laura Offley damozel at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 7 10:53:09 PDT 2007

Greetings from Yolande,

I like this idea of an ongoing Ceremonial Committee, not just one that
does the work once and is disbanded. The Ceremonial is a fluid,
ever-changing creature, yet is full of history and traditions that we
don't want to loose. A regular group of people working on it is a good idea.

Quentin wrote:
"That drawback is how do we know if that ceremony is good, sufficient,
correct, and accepted by the Principality?"

A ceremonial does not need to be accepted by the Principality. Sure, it
should be good, sufficient, and correct. But accepted? Maybe I'm missing
your point here.

Quentin wrote:
"In order to add, delete, or change a ceremony in the official Tir Righ
ceremonial, someone comes forward with a ceremony to add, wordings to
change, or the call to delete a ceremony from the ceremonial. Anyone can
do this. If Viscountess Amanda wants a change in the ceremonial, this is
what she does. If John the Great Newcomer wants to write a ceremony to
be evaluated for the ceremonial, he can do so!"

I disagree with this. Anyone does not, and should not, have the power
nor the right to do this.

One very important thing needs to be remembered - that the Ceremonies
are the word of the Coronet. Just as Heralds are the voice of the
Coronet. I have a problem with John the Great Newcomer coming up and
wanting to change the words of the Coronet. It is not his right to do
so. And respectfully, neither is it the right of a Royal Peer. The only
ones that can do that are the Royals. Certainly anyone can make
suggestions, but the committee would be there to vet the suggestions and
then present the changes to the Royals for acceptance or not. I'm hoping
this is what you meant.

As for who makes up the committee, Quentin mentions Court Patrons. Do
you mean Royal Patrons? Otherwise, I don't know what a Court Patron is.

This idea of an ongoing Ceremonies Committee should be made first to
Their Highnesses to see if They are in agreement with having a
Ceremonial Committee (I don't see why They wouldn't agree - it's more a
matter of principle). Once Their permission is gained, then a formal
proposal can be written, along with a list of names for committee
members and submitted to Them for final approval.

Yolande (who is *extremely* reluctant to take on any more work, but who
really is interested from a retinue perspective . . .)