[tirrigh-heralds] Question of forms of address

Uilliam mac Ailéne mhic Seamuis uilliam at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 4 20:04:23 PST 2007

Good evening, fellow heralds.

A question came up yesterday at Crickstow's Ithra session, in the
Chivalry & Etiquette class, in two or three parts:
1) If a gentle is in a fealty chain - say in fealty to a landed Baron
who is in turn in fealty to a territorial Prince who is then in fealty
to the King - can that gentle properly address the King or the Prince as
"my liege lord"?

2) Can a gentle in fealty to someone other than royalty address that
person as "my liege"? To use the example above, "my liege baron"? Does
that work? Does it seem awkward?

Thanks for any and all input on this one.

Uilliam
(the one on Insula Magna, not in Lions Gate)
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from