[tirrigh-heralds] [antir-heralds] Question of forms of address

James D Sena brendon at pacific.net
Mon Nov 5 02:43:59 PST 2007

Uilliam mac Ailéne mhic Seamuis wrote:
> Good evening, fellow heralds.
>
> A question came up yesterday at Crickstow's Ithra session, in the
> Chivalry & Etiquette class, in two or three parts:
> 1) If a gentle is in a fealty chain - say in fealty to a landed Baron
> who is in turn in fealty to a territorial Prince who is then in fealty
> to the King - can that gentle properly address the King or the Prince as
> "my liege lord"?

    The use of "My Liege" would be something for both parties to discuss
before hand.  In this example I would say no.

> 2) Can a gentle in fealty to someone other than royalty address that
> person as "my liege"? To use the example above, "my liege baron"? Does
> that work? Does it seem awkward?

   That depends on the relationship between the two individuals.  If the
Baron involved and the person in fealty agreed, it would be appropriate
IMPO.  Otherwise it would not.

> Thanks for any and all input on this one.
>
> Uilliam
> (the one on Insula Magna, not in Lions Gate)

HL Brendan ap Llewelyn
Tymberhavene Pursuivant