[tirrigh-heralds] per pale azure and argent ... conflict check please

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Fri May 30 04:39:47 PDT 2008

> for my client:  per pale azure and argent, two palm branches/fronds
> in saltire, counterchanged.
>
> I'm thinking that there is a conflict with:  Alexander Kirkpatrick -
> The following device associated with this name was registered in July
> of 1993 (via Calontir) - Per pale azure and argent, a pickax and a
> spade inverted in saltire counterchanged.
>
> Or is there two CD, one for the pickax and one for the spade?  I'm
> not sure whether they would be counted as one or two.  And I'm
> guessing that the inverted position of the pickax and spade would be
> a moot point?

Clear by X.2. with no more than two types of charges on the field, no
overall charges, and the type of every charge in the primary group
having been changed.

The Ordinary categories to look under are Plant and Tree branch and
Leaf.  There is a ruling that a branch is not significantly (no CD)
different from a tree of the same type. Honestly, if it's a palm frond
I'd make an argument that this is the exception because a palm has
such a distinctly different from a frond/branch shape. But we only
need to argue if we find a problem with palm trees. :)

Elizabeth Dameral Sage - November of 1980 (via Meridies): Per pale
azure and argent, in saltire a slip of borage [Borage officianalis]
surmounting a sage blossom [Salvia officianalis] slipped and leaved
proper.
A definite CD for the change of tincture of the plants by X.4.d.  A
very probable CD for type of plant since palm fronds have such a
distinct shape and were well-known in period (make a pilgrimage to
Jerusalem, get a palm frond, now you're a palmer) and borage and sage
blossoms look rather different.  Most likely clear.

That's it.  Looks clear to me.  Double checks eagerly requested.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html