[tirrigh-heralds] Some thoughts following September Coronet

Uilliam mac Ailene mhic Seamuis uilliam at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 13 09:11:08 PDT 2008

Teceangl wrote:
>> 2) Statement of heraldic policies. This section will probably be
>> prefaced with a statement to the effect of "subject to Their Highnesses'
>> whims", as they may decide for good and sufficient reasons of their own
>> to either promulgatge new policy or change existing ones.
>>

> If principality law is that THs can change policy, I'd not both to put
> it in here. Royalty will do what they will but they needn't be invited
> to mess with things that were developed by those who do the job, do
> they?
> (All respect to the crowned heads, of course. But how often are the
> crowned heads working heralds who realize why things are done as they
> are?)
>
> - Teceangl Ounce

Good point, gracious lady.

The way I see it, the policy should be the fall-back. If TH want to
change something for the duration of their reign, then it can be an
insert, and removed at the end of their reign. OTOH, it might turn out
to be such a good idea that the College slaps its collective forehead
and says "Duh! Of course!" and decides to keep it. The biggest thing is
that I feel we need a written reference, to ensure that everyone is on
the same page.

I don't know that principality law addresses the issue of TH and
heraldic policies; my  view (and again,  this is one herald's opinion
only) is that Royalty has the right to make changes unless they conflict
with Kingdom law / decisions of the Crown. Certainly I am not for a
moment advocating that we would meekly accept something that TH wanted
to do that went against tradition/good heraldic practice; we would most
definitely counsel and advise them. But in  the end they're the final
authority.

Uilliam