[tirrigh-heralds] Heraldic Titles for Tir Righ

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Sun Apr 25 21:09:44 PDT 2010

Tomas wrote:

> Perhaps we could ask the person who has it registered (Jean de
> Clermont) for permission to conflict.

That depends on whether we can track Jean down.  I tried googling
"Silver Bear Rapier Company" and only got links related to the
registration of the name (it was registered in 1991).  It appears "Jean
de Clermont" received an Award of Arms in 1991.  He registered a
personal device and a badge for the rapier company in 1992 but that's
eight years ago.  With no additional awards since then, I suspect Jean
may no longer be playing, though we could contact people in the East
Kingdom to see if they can locate him if we decided we really wanted to
use "Silver Bear" as a herald's title.

> Does the animal need to have been known in Period to use it?

Yes,  the animal would need to have been known in Europe in Period.

I'm a bit hesitant to use some of the suggested Bear names.  The Barony
of Seagirt has the "Order of the Bear" and the description in the OP
says "Awarded to adolescent gentles, members are selected by
recommendation to the Baron and Baroness of Seagirt, in three
categories. The Silver Bear is for arts and sciences, the Golden Bear is
for service, and the Black Bear is for martial prowess and skill."
So although they haven't registered Silver Bear and Black Bear so
there's no conflict issue, I personally don't feel comfortable using them.

Alicia