[tirrigh-heralds] Confusion about an online ordinary result

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Tue May 11 03:23:09 PDT 2010

> Thanks for the info and suggestion.  I hadn't even thought about checking
> under "couped".  Nor had I considered putting a teritary charge on the
> beastie, though I really like that idea.  I'm still relatively new to this
> side of heraldry, having done mostly voice stuff so far, but I'm getting the
> impression that the best way to use the Ordinary is to use the broadest
> search terms feasible (obviously "Beast" is too broad if you're looking for
> dogs) and then run down the list, possibly refining the terms if an initial
> result is too broad, rather than using specific terms as one would on a
> Google- or some database searches.  Have I got the right idea there?

Not quite, but good try.  Persevere and you'll learn this stuff, trust
me.  Just being on the list is the most powerful thing you can do to
become a good herald. We work together to teach, learn, and figure out
the obscurities.

Here's how you do it:
http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/index.html

That's it.  All laid out in alphabetical order, with cross-references.
 Simply pull up the correct letter and find the entry you need, then
start reading.  If you look for Dragon under D, it points you to
Monster - Dragon.  Then you find wyverns, which get no difference from
dragons, because the category contains them both.  No need to try to
figure out search terms, it's all compiled for you.
Oh, you do still need to remember that, for instance, all quadrupeds
are only one CD from their sea-monster types and check there, as well,
but you don't need to try to figure out of shamrocks get difference
from 3-leafed clovers, they're listed together under Foil - Trefoil.

So bookmark that URL and use it exclusively.  If you do need search
forms at some later time, there's a link to them from there (I use 'em
to see if, say, anyone's registered a narfing iron yet).  But once you
see that alphabetical list, you're on your way to a nice, thorough
conflict check.

- Teceangl
--
KWHSS website: http://kwhss.sca.org