[tirrigh-heralds] My Name, Device and Badge: My thoughts and findings so far - PART 3 - BADGE

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:32:05 PDT 2010

Yes, this answer is flip...

> I didn't understand how to put one complex charge on another.

Carefully.

Flip but I mean it. While it was practiced in period armory, one
complex charge on another can be death to identifiability if not done
right.  On the wolf's head, obscuring the face would be a bad idea
(and look pretty lousy, too), and you also must make sure your
tertiary charge is _entirely_ upon the underlying charge.  No part may
overlap the edge.  If you want an overall charge, there are special
rules (at least one of the two charges in the design must be long and
skinny, overlap must be minimal, the overall charge must go across and
touch the field - fieldless simply implies a colorless field, think a
sheet of glass - on at least two sides, and identifiability of both
charges must be retained) to be observed so a tertiary charfge 'barely
overall' faces return.
That's why I said charge the neck.  That's the period place to charge
a wolf's head and it gives the most room to work with.

- Teceangl
--
KWHSS website: http://kwhss.sca.org