[tirrigh-heralds] Conflict checking my name

Wulfstan Hrafnsson wulfstan.hrafnsson at gmail.com
Wed May 12 12:51:36 PDT 2010

So I went to http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_np.cgi to conflict check my name.

First things first: I decided to check both names in their full forms before
looking at alternate spellings, parts of the names, etc.

So I entered "Wulfstan" under the broad, case-insensitive search.  I left
the number of results to display at 25 (to keep the page size reasonable to
look at) and got 30 hits.  (As an aside, a narrow search returned 29
results).  So I reset the display to 35 and tried again.  A few had Wulfstan
as a given name but all with quite different surnames, and some had it as a
surname.

A similar search for "Hrafnsson" returned only 10 results, all with very
different given names.

Searching for "Hrafn" returned 93 results, so I widened the display to show
95 results.  Nothing that appears to conflict.

Looking at the hints page on the search form, I decided to try allowing
alternate vowels.  So "W.lfst.n" got a try.  43 hits.  No obvious conflict.

For the patronymic, I tried ".r..nss.n" - the H is optional, the vowels
could be different, and there could be an F or a V.  42 hits this time.
This returned hits of "Hrafnssen", which I expected, and "Normansson", which
I didn't, as well as some other weirder ones.  No conflict that I could see,
so I took out an S to check again.  Only 13 hits for that, none even close.

Either the name is clear or I've missed something.  I'm hoping for the
former, personally.