[tirrigh-heralds] [antir-heralds] CC: "Fieldless, a cross formy quadrate sable."- basically the Lionsdale cross

Bruce Draconarius draconarius at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 07:58:05 PST 2010

The current policy seems to be that, while a cross (i.e. an ordinary,
throughout) gets a CD from a cross quadrate, a discrete cross like a cross
formy gets no difference from a cross formy quadrate:  we have period
examples of the arms of Jerusalem with both a cross potent and a cross
potent quadrate, showing the quadrate treatment to be an artistic detail
only.

So this would conflict with a cross formy sable.  I find two conflicts:  the
badge of the Teutonic Order, which is important non-SCA armory and therefore
protected, "(Fieldless) A Latin cross formy sable fimbriated argent", with a
CD for fieldlessness, nothing for making the cross Latin or quadrate,
nothing for fimbriation; and the device of Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin,
"Argent, a cross patty sable", with "patty" being another term for "formy",
so again nothing for making the cross quadrate, and a CD for fieldlessness.

- Bruce

   - Teutonic Order <http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Teutonic%20Order>
      - The following badge associated with this name was registered in
      December of 1994 (via
Laurel)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1994&m1=December&y2=1994&m2=December&kL=checked>
      :
      *(Fieldless <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=fieldless>) A Latin
      cross <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=latin+cross> formy
sable<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=sable>
      fimbriated <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=fimbriated>
argent<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>
      .*
      Important non-SCA badge
      - Dorothea of
Caer-Myrddin<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Dorothea%20of%20Caer%2dMyrddin>
         - Either the name or the following device associated it (or both)
         were registered in January of
1973<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1973&m1=January&y2=1973&m2=January&kA=checked&kC=checked&kD=checked&kE=checked&kG=checked&kH=checked&kK=checked&kL=checked&kM=checked&kN=checked&kO=checked&kQ=checked&kR=checked&kS=checked&kT=checked&kW=checked&kX=checked&km=checked&kn=checked&kw=checked>
         :
         *Argent <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>, a
cross<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=cross>patty

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Janice Murphy <isoldethecelt at yahoo.ca>wrote:

> For the Lionsdale shire badge:
> "Fieldless, a cross formy quadrate sable."- basically the Lionsdale cross
> Client has not seen any conflicts as yet but was a bit confused by which
> crosses conflicted with which.  Any help you can give would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Lady Isolde the Celt
> Conflict Deputy for the Tir Righ College of Heralds

You open the Draconomicon, you get the madness.