[tirrigh-heralds] Plausibility of surname Orkneyskaia

Morel Carr Zupanic bear_necessities at telus.net
Wed Jun 13 01:55:59 PDT 2012

http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/toprus.html
"Type IV locative bynames are created by taking the toponym and adding an
adjectival suffix (usually "-skii"/"-skoi"/"-skyi," or feminine "-skaia").
Often, the form is found in the genitive case ("-skogo"). Regardless of how
it appears, the meaning is the same: "the person of <place name>" or "the
<place name>-ish person." The person is described as being colored by
his/her place of birth, bearing the place (so to speak) in their soul."

The client in question is the daughter of a Varangian (Norse) man and a
Russian woman from Kiev, an historically plausible persona, given the rule
of the Norse over Rus in her chosen period.  She feels that it is plausible
to have been born in Orkney, as this was also the period of time that the
Norse populated that region.  I want to be sure that Orkneyskaia is a
reasonable surname construction for her, before advising her to go ahead and
submit, and I'd love to hear some learned opinions on this, if I could,
please.

Doireann