[tirrigh-heralds] Plausibility of surname Orkneyskaia

Basil BasilD at lavabit.com
Wed Jun 13 23:48:43 PDT 2012

Morel Carr Zupanic wrote:
> http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/toprus.html
> "Type IV locative bynames are created by taking the toponym and adding
> an adjectival suffix (usually "-skii"/"-skoi"/"-skyi," or feminine
> "-skaia"). Often, the form is found in the genitive case ("-skogo").
> Regardless of how it appears, the meaning is the same: "the person of
> <place name>" or "the <place name>-ish person." The person is described
> as being colored by his/her place of birth, bearing the place (so to
> speak) in their soul."

"Orkneyskaia" combines two languages into one name phrase (indeed,
into one word) as is therefore not registrable (as I understand it).

> The client in question is the daughter of a Varangian (Norse) man and a
> Russian woman from Kiev, an historically plausible persona, given the
> rule of the Norse over Rus in her chosen period. She feels that it is
> plausible to have been born in Orkney, as this was also the period of
> time that the Norse populated that region.

Please remember, we do not register personae stories. That is, no
matter how tricky &/or well written as excuse may be, the CoA will
only register *likely*, *common* language mixes. ;-)

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Peritia zmaragdus est; sapientia adamās est. Comparāvistine impensae
eārum nūper?

Disobedience Is Mandatory!