[tirrigh-heralds] Conflict check please

Joan Kew bogfairy at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 14 21:19:20 PDT 2013

Basil (and others), I think I have made some headway with the possibility of a sunflower proper; please advise, and thank you!

>From http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2007/07/07-07cl.html:

>From Wreath: Sunflowers Proper

In returning Cassandra von Schwabing's device in November 2000 Laurel ruled, "There is no default color for the seeds of sunflowers: sometimes they are black, sometimes brown. Therefore, we cannot register a sunflower proper." However, over the years we have registered several sunflowers proper. Some of these had black seeds, some brown seeds. We hereby overturn the November 2000 precedent and allow sunflowers proper to be registered. Just as a thistle proper can have its tuft either gules or purpure, a sunflower proper may have either brown or sable seeds. For purposes of conflict checking, the tincture of a sunflower's seeds is not worth a difference. The presence of these seeds does not count as a tertiary charge.

Hawise