[tirrigh-heralds] Now, about my name

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Sun Jun 9 22:11:35 PDT 2013

I think that you have a much better chance with Thomas Greyhaven.

I think we may be able to argue for Greyhaven as a constructed name
based on examples in R&W's Dictionary of English Surnames which has
names like "Greyland" (dated to 1290-1; 1314-5; & 1338), "Greystanes
(grey stones)" (dated to 1332, "Whitestone" dated to 1332 along with the
example of "Whytehauene" (1279) and "Whithaven" (1535) provided by
Pelican on the May 2008 LoAR which says "-haven in constructed English
place names. When this element was ruled SCA-compatible as a
deuterotheme in English place names, the only examples that had been
found to that point appended the element Haven to an already existing
place name. Since then, examples have been found of -haven used as a
genuine deuterotheme, in Whytehauene 1279 and Whithaven 1535 (Watts s.n.
Whitehaven), and Kihavene, Kyhavene c.1170-1316 and Kayhaven 1532 (Watts
s.n. Keyhaven)."

The other option would be to submit as Thomas Grey Haven documenting it
as a late period name with a double surname as the IGI Parish Extracts
have lots of examples of both Grey and Haven as surnames.

Thane/Thomas - the above info is mostly for other heralds to look at and
comment on, so don't let it confuse you too much.  The gist of what I've
said is that although we may not be able to find any examples of
"Greyhaven" as a surname, we may be able to present an argument that
such a name is likely based on similar period examples we do have.

Alicia