[tirrigh-heralds] Received AoA, now I need CoA

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Tue May 28 23:14:12 PDT 2013

Greetings,

The Tir Righ College of Heralds will be most happy to assist you with
your heraldry.

First, though, I should mention (in case you are not already aware of
this) that you will need to register your name in addition to your arms
as all heraldic registrations are tied to the primary registered name.
Having your name on the Order of Precedence or a membership card is
different from having it registered. We can assist you with this as
well. I am a bit worried about your first name, Thane. 'Thegn' is an
alternate title for a Viscount and thus cannot be registered as a name
unless you are a Viscount. However I'm not sure whether this spelling is
also reserved or not, but that can be checked.

As for your preliminary device (arms), this has some problems in terms
of acceptable style.
1) There are specific heraldic 'tinctures' that were used for medieval
heraldry which you are limited to, which are the 'colors' red, blue,
green, black and purple and the 'metals' white and yellow. Except in
some rare cases, you can only put a 'metal' charge (your tower, swords,
etc. are charges) on a 'color' field (the background) or a 'color'
charge on a 'metal' field.

Therefore, the background on the top part cannot be grey is not a
heraldic tincture. As your tower is white (a metal), the field it is on
should be a color (red, blue, green, black or purple). Your swords are
white on a white field which provides no contrast at all (they will be
impossible to see in any dim light) and should also be on a color field.

2) You have three different types of charges of approximately equal
importance on the field (which puts them in the same 'charge group').
This wasn't done in medieval heraldry (our term for this is 'slot
machine' armory). No more than two different types of charges are
allowed in the same charge group. (Note: if, for example, you had the
crossed swords in the center and three smaller towers surrounding it,
than you would have two different charge groups - the tower being the
primary charge group and the towers in a secondary charge group. This is
also relevant to the next comment.

3) All three sections have different combinations charges. The tower is
a single element, the skull and crossbones are two bones in saltire
surmounted by the skull, and the sword are in saltire but not surmounted
by anything so each has to be described separately. This runs into a
problem with section A3D2c of the Standards for Evaluation (the rules
governing allowable styles as well as conflict rules) which states that
"A charge group in which postures for different charges must be blazoned
individually will not be allowed without period examples of that
combination of postures."

4) I believe there is a restriction on the use of a skull and crossbones
but I would have to check that.

5) A minor point - the horizontal line across the center should be
higher so the space above and below the line is more equal.

In period, your arms wasn't telling a story about you, which is what I
think you're trying to do. It would be best to simplify. If you can let
us know what is the most important charge(s), maybe we can offer some
suggestions. Also, let me know if you don't understand any of the above
information.

In service,
Alicia le Wilfulle
Red Flame Herald