[tirrigh-heralds] Received AoA, now I need CoA

Basil BasilD at lavabit.com
Tue May 28 23:57:37 PDT 2013

On 5/28/2013 11:14 PM, Judy Harcus wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The Tir Righ College of Heralds will be most happy to assist you with
> your heraldry.
>
> First, though, I should mention (in case you are not already aware of
> this) that you will need to register your name in addition to your
> arms as all heraldic registrations are tied to the primary registered
> name. Having your name on the Order of Precedence or a membership card
> is different from having it registered. We can assist you with this as
> well. I am a bit worried about your first name, Thane. 'Thegn' is an
> alternate title for a Viscount and thus cannot be registered as a name
> unless you are a Viscount. However I'm not sure whether this spelling
> is also reserved or not, but that can be checked.
>
> As for your preliminary device (arms), this has some problems in terms
> of acceptable style.
> 1) There are specific heraldic 'tinctures' that were used for medieval
> heraldry which you are limited to, which are the 'colors' red, blue,
> green, black and purple and the 'metals' white and yellow. Except in
> some rare cases, you can only put a 'metal' charge (your tower,
> swords, etc. are charges) on a 'color' field (the background) or a
> 'color' charge on a 'metal' field.
>
> Therefore, the background on the top part cannot be grey is not a
> heraldic tincture. As your tower is white (a metal), the field it is
> on should be a color (red, blue, green, black or purple). Your swords
> are white on a white field which provides no contrast at all (they
> will be impossible to see in any dim light) and should also be on a
> color field.
>
> 2) You have three different types of charges of approximately equal
> importance on the field (which puts them in the same 'charge group').
> This wasn't done in medieval heraldry (our term for this is 'slot
> machine' armory). No more than two different types of charges are
> allowed in the same charge group. (Note: if, for example, you had the
> crossed swords in the center and three smaller towers surrounding it,
> than you would have two different charge groups - the tower being the
> primary charge group and the towers in a secondary charge group. This
> is also relevant to the next comment.
>
> 3) All three sections have different combinations charges. The tower
> is a single element, the skull and crossbones are two bones in saltire
> surmounted by the skull, and the sword are in saltire but not
> surmounted by anything so each has to be described separately. This
> runs into a problem with section A3D2c of the Standards for Evaluation
> (the rules governing allowable styles as well as conflict rules) which
> states that "A charge group in which postures for different charges
> must be blazoned individually will not be allowed without period
> examples of that combination of postures."
>
> 4) I believe there is a restriction on the use of a skull and
> crossbones but I would have to check that.

> [...]

Also please note that the SCA doesn't register mottoes, so the ribbons
and the stuff on them should be dropped.

--
~~Basil Dragonstrike

Every dream has a blind side, a trapdoor that's tripped by doubt. --
Webb Wilder, "The Rest (Will Take Care of Itself)"

So, flying up in a human-rated Dragon (spaceship) is not gonna be an
issue. -- astronaut Don Pettit

Erō mītis cum sim mortuus.

Peritia zmaragdus est; sapientia adamās est. Comparāvistine impensae
eārum nūper?

And it's only the giving that makes you, what you are. -- J. Tull

There IS more than one way to skin a cat, but they all leave you with
a dead cat. -- B. Dragonstrike

THIS LIFE IS ONLY A TEST.
In the event of a Real Life you would be told where to go and what to do.
THIS IS A TEST. REPEAT: THIS IS ONLY A TEST.

Disobedience is Mandatory!

A soft answer may turn aside wrath, but for stupidity you sometimes
need a stick.

Tho' logic choppers rule the town
And every man and maid and boy has marked a distant object down.
"An aimless joy is a pure joy."
Or so did Tom O'Reily say,
Who saw the surges running by,
"And wisdom is a butterfly,