[Hartwood] Fwd: [AnTirApprentice] reminder Culinary Night next Wednesday October 5th

doerksen at island.net doerksen at island.net
Tue Oct 4 00:24:03 PDT 2011

Someone into cookery might find this interesting...

Halima
--
http://www.island.net/~doerksen/

----- Forwarded message from raphaellad at yahoo.com -----
     Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
     From: Raphaella DiContini <raphaellad at yahoo.com>

Greetings,

     I've been asked to put out a can for contributions towards
supplies for culinary guild, but I don't want anyone to feel like they
can't participate if they are unable to pitch in. If you're interested
please come regardless. I also have some massive zucchini that's free
to a good home. :)

 I have narrowed it down to 3 recipes, Mushrooms which will go pretty
quickly, garlic torta will be a little bit longer and more complex,
and marvelous good walnut bread which will take the longest (and need
to be started first), but a good portion of that will be the 45
minutes for it to rise.The original transcription
and English translation of each recipe is listed below.

We'll start gathering at 6 and be cooking by 6:30-7:00 and hopefully
wrap up by 9. We should get a chance to eat what we cook, but it will
likely be late (and more a snack than a full  dinner) so please plan
to eat something before. I'm also open to doing cooking projects/
classes other days and times as well, just let me know if you are
interested.

As always, I'm delighted to take requests so let me know if there is a
specific time/ place that you'd like to know about, just intro to
historical cooking or would just like to come over and fondle my
library.

Our house is child friendly, but still not 100% child-proof but we do
have lots of toys and a big screen with child appropriate shows for
0-10 yr olds.

My address is
1928 Martin Luther King Jr. Way,
Tacoma, WA 98405

cell phone (206)679-3654

In joyous service,
Raffaella
XXV.    Fongi.
Se tu voy fare fongi, toli li fongi sechi e metelli a molle in aqua
calda e lavaly ben, poy li lesse e poy fali boni como tu voy e
conzali; poy toy cepole et herbe e conza cum specie dolze e forte; e
poy meti li funzi entro e frizi ogni cossa insieme, e toy mandole non
monde e maxenale, e poy mettelli suso i fongi; altri li meti agresta e
vole essere caldi.

XXV Mushrooms
If you want to make mushrooms, take dried mushrooms and put them to
soak in hot water and wash them well.  Then boil them a little and
make them cook how you want and prefer.  Then take onions and herbs
and season with strong and sweet spices, and then add the mushrooms
and fry everything together.  Take unpeeled almonds and grind them and
then put on top of the mushroom dish, alternatively you can add
verjuice and it needs to be served hot.

CV. Torta d’ agli, etc.
Toy li agli e mondali e lessali; quando sono cocti metili a moglio in
aqua freda e poy pistali e metili zafarano e formazo assay che sia
fresco e lardo batuto e specie dolze e forte e distempera con ova e
mitili ova passa e poy fay la torta.

CV.  Tart of garlic, etc.
Take the garlic and peel and boil; when they are enough cooked put to
soak in cold water then pound and put saffron and cheese enough that
is fresh and beaten lard and spices sweet and strong and temper with
eggs and put in currants and then make the tart.

LVIII.   Pane de noxe maravigliosso e bone.
Se tu voy fare pan de noce, toy le noce e mondalle e pestale, e toy de
herbe bone e un poco de cevola gratà e specie dolze e forte e uno
pocho de zucharo, e miti in lo mortaro con le noxe e fa pastume. Poy
toy fior de farina e fane un folglio a modo de lasagne grande e largo
e sotile, e miti questo batuto suso, e muolzilo tuto insembre e falo a
modo de uno pane, e poy lo caricha ch’ el vengna sotille a modo de una
fugaza;
metilo a choxere in lo forno, e quando l’ è cocto, trailo fuora e
laselo afredare.

LVIII Marvelous and good walnut bread
If you want to make a bread of walnuts.  Take walnuts and peel and
grind them, and take good herbs, a little grated onion, sweet and
strong spices and a little sugar.  Put these in a mortar with the
walnuts and make a paste.  Then take wheat flour and make a sheet in
the way (that one makes) lasagna, large and wide and thin.  Put this
(nut) paste within and knead all this together in the same way that
one makes bread.  Take the dough, when it has become soft like a cake,
and put it to cook in the oven, and when it is cooked pull it out and
let it cool.

----- End forwarded message -----