[Hartwood] Hartwood Party Invitation

Aline De Bruges aline_debruges at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 19:39:13 PDT 2012

Good Eve, gentle folk.  For those who do not yet know me (or me, or me, or me), please honour me with your most gracious time as I share a little about who I mayhap be, from time to time, for feast, or dance, or sundry event (and, especially, for a party such as has convened here in this fine hall):

I am, and was from the First, Aline de Bruges, of the late 14th Century, daughter of a merchant of Brugge
(Bruges, in French), of Flanders.  Accustomed as I was to the day-to-day tasks of my father's shipping business, I took it over at a tender age
when he was was lost at sea on one of his ships. You see, as a child and young woman, I
spent more time at my father's knee listening to his stories of the sea than I
did learning many of the womanly arts (my mother died giving me birth, and I was an
only child, the apple of my father's eye); however, I proved most adept with numbers and
figures, and with writing and languages, having attended to my father's merchanting accounts, and also having mastered (or mayhap I should say 'mistressed'?,) the fine
art of a careful script, having taken on the duties of being my father's secretary as soon as I was able.  Beyond these business duties, I also have acquired considerable skill in the design and construction of garments for myself and others, made, as I have blessed to obtain from the orient, from the fine silks and linens that arrive regularly on my ships, along with other delights for the home such as tableware and fine furnishings (for that is, and always has been, my chiefest pleasure: the creation and maintenance of a both fine and comfortable home for all).

But then, you may also find another 'me', visiting your caravanserai when time and travel opportunities permit (and when I am able to arrange for suitable accommodation for my camel):

Aliyyah ibn Shiraz al Malbec, 16th Century Persian dancer, poet, and
sometime creator of feasts and other food for the senses.

Occasionally, too, when ruffians and pirates appear, you may hear from 'me', as:

Athelina Maria Esperante
de Navarre.  As a 16th Century rapier fighter, I believe I must have run off with brigands, as I have disappeared far across
the seas except for the occasional sea-going venture, and the chance opportunity to 'speak like a pirate'.

And now, my most recent (Norse-ish) 'me': Ealisaid (Ay-lish-aydt)
of the clan O'Heneraighe.  I am a 12th Century Irish woman, daughter of a relatively powerful chieftain of Limerick (whose family has been strongly allied with the Ui Niall high kings for centuries) and who took to wife a
fine Norse woman from a nearby settlement.  Being one who may, one day in the far, far future, be known as 'Hiberno-Norse', I also carry proudly my Norse name of
Eilif Hlymreksfari (Limerick-traveller).  I am, I'm afraid, sorely lacking in the vestments and articles accorded my stature, as my father's curragh foundered on the seas and many were the goods I lost.  But I endeavor to apply what limited skill I have to create for myself a new life, complete with all I should require in making a new home, here upon this isle, so far from home.

And so, as any one of of me that you or I may wish, I come bearing gifts of platters imported from the Orient, piled high with succulent dates and crisp roasted nuts from Persia,  along with tiny sweet oranges from Spain, accompanied by both warm fresh naan breads sprinkled with za'atar, and steaming brown soda bread.
And may I also offer long banners, fashioned of both the finest silks and the simplest flax, and adorned with appliqued heraldry, with which to grace the halls for this gathering?

Aline
Aliyyah
Athelina
Ealisaid, also known as Eilif