[Hartwood] Locations Database

Danielle Bevan dbevan at topfloor.ca
Wed May 23 22:06:27 PDT 2012

To those reading this both on Facebook and here, I apologize -- I just find that some people do FB, and others do the mailing list, so hopefully I'll get everyone involved in the conversation this way. :)

Okay, on the topic of a locations database:

My idea is labour intensive. I'm not going to lie. It involves people going out into their community, tracking down all kinds of venus -- from convention centers, to fair grounds, to camp grounds, to halls, to schools, to lodges, etc... -- and gathering that location's details, then emailing it to me so I can enter it into a database. (or anyone else who enjoys data entry.) Then, when it comes time to plan for an event, they go to the database, say 'I need space for archery, a full kitchen, and space for 100 to dine', and it will filter your criteria and give you the options. Once created, it will require an annual upkeep of someone calling all these halls up again and asking if anything's changed.

So what is useful information to have about a site?

Contact information, of course.
Seasonal Rates (And anyone who won't give you a rate is suspicious, so say I!)
Non-Profit discount?
Insurance Requirements
Kitchen, and how well appointed?
# of rooms, dimensions would be nice
Capacity
Parking
Outdoor Space Suitable for Archery
Outdoor Space Suitable for x number of tourney fields
Outdoor Space Suitable for Camping
Firepits
Potable Water
Toilets
Showers
Dry Site
Additional rules
Additional hazards
Additional amenities

... and pretty much everything listed on the principality event submission form, really.

This kind of data requires more than just a phone call. This requires asking for a tour, and ideally, taking a camera with you to photograph some key locations. (Like, say, the kitchen.) Is there any chance people are interested in forming a team to get into this kind of detail? Am I over-complicating it, and maybe there's a better way? Did I forget anything of use for potential Autocrats?

Basically, I'm proposing some short-term pain for the luxury of making finding a site -- historically the most difficult aspect of Event Stewarding -- easy as pie.

Conversation, GO~

~ Danielle/Cunegonda