[Hartwood] Newcomers Event, July 26-28, 2013, Barony of Seagirt

doerksen at island.net doerksen at island.net
Mon Jul 22 22:51:30 PDT 2013

Newcomers Event, July 26-28, 2013 - Barony of Seagirt

Come one, come all to the Island Newcomers event. The Barony of
Seagirt and the Shire of Hartwood invite you to come out for the day
or the weekend; bring your interested friends, meet some new folks and
show them how much fun being a time traveler can be.

There will be plenty to do for everyone. A full day of free TUTR
classes is being planned for the newcomers (and anyone else who would
like to attend); class schedule is below. We will dance! We will play
games! We will sing! We will fight! We will show each other some cool
projects we are working on. We will hold court. There will be a
friendly game of medieval football between Seagirt and Hartwood. And,
of course, we will have fun!

Fighters are welcome! There will be prize tournaments for heavy,
rapier and archery.

The onsite A&S challenge will be chivalry handkerchiefs. White linen
will be supplied. Please bring sewing needles, embroidery thread and
scissors.

As well there are a couple of drop-in classes on finger loop braiding
and making wreaths and roses. All materials are supplied for these
classes.

Artisans! We will designate an area for you to work on projects on
site. Newcomers will be given time to wander over and see what you are
doing, and ask questions. If you want to participate in this, please
contact HL Tatiana so we know who/what to expect. Please bring
whatever you need for supplies.

Raffle prizes for newcomers! Every hour throughout the day on Saturday
and Sunday we will draw a name so someone can choose a prize.

If you have a banner, please bring it. There will be a March of
Precedence Saturday morning at Court.

Fees: Adults $20 (No non-membership surcharge)
Youth (16 and under) Free.
Family Cap: $60

Schedule: The site opens Friday at 3pm, and closes Sunday at 3pm. An
activities schedule will be available at Gate.

The site is located in Cobble Hill at the Fairground. There is water
on site as well as flush toilets (yay!) No ground fires. Braziers are
allowed.

Directions to the site:

version 1
 From Duncan and northward (driving South on the TransCanada Highway):
Turn right at the Cobble Hill Road traffic light (opposite Valleyview
Shopping Centre and Cowichan Bay Road). Follow Cobble Hill Road to
Cobble Hill village--- then follow the signs. 3550 Watson ave Cobble
Hill

 From Victoria (driving North on the TransCanada Highway): Turn left
at Hutchinson Road (3rd traffic light after Mill Bay Centre)--- then
follow the signs.

version 2
 From Highway 1, turn to head West on Hutchinson Rd. (turn left for
Victoria folks, turn right from up-island)
Turn right on Watson Ave.
The Cobble Hill Hall and site are across the street from the Cobblestone Inn.

Event Stewards: Connal and Tatiana <kimberleystratford at gmail.com>

Class Schedule

Friday
3pm Site opens

Saturday
10 am Opening Court
11am Chivalry and Etiquette
Noon lunch break
1pm Introduction to Heraldry
2pm Fighting Appreciation and Introduction to Heavy Fighting
3pm Introduction to Garb - From Camp to Court (the versatile T Tunic)
4pm Introduction to Archery and archery tournament

Evening - following dinner on your own there will be games and bardic.

Sunday
10am - introduction to Dance
11am - introduction to Rapier
Noon - closing court

Site is closed at 3pm.

Remember:
This is a pet friendly event. An Tir leash laws in effect.

No ground fires. Braziers are allowed.

Please bring bags to pack out your garbage and recycling

This is a discreet site. Alcohol in period containers only.