[Hartwood] Canine War Iron Cauldron

Hartwood hartwood at tirrigh.org
Sun Sep 7 21:40:23 PDT 2014

Iron Cauldron Competition for Canine War

Once again we will be having an Iron Cauldron competition at the War.
This year entrants will be asked to create both a sweet and savory dish
using the three mystery ingredients provided.
The first mystery ingredient will be flavouring, which may be an herb or
spice. The second ingredient will be a protein and the third will be a
fruit or vegetable.
While cookbook recipes are allowed, we will also accept original dishes
which are done in a period manner using appropriate ingredients.
We will only be providing the three mystery ingredients, but you are also
allowed to use ingredients brought from home or those acquired that day.
While you can borrow or share another person’s kitchen facilities and
ingredients, the cooking must be done by the registered entrant only.
Each contestant must sign up by 11 am on Saturday but you may email your
intention to enter the competition instead, by emailing me at
innchaos at shaw.ca before Friday at 6pm.
There will be a Young Cooks category for those 16 and under. Please inform
us if you are in this category when you register.
Those wishing to compete will meet Saturday at 2pm, at which time they can
ask any questions and get their three ingredients.
The dishes must be submitted by Saturday at 5pm for judging.
Judging will be based on:
1. How period are the dishes. This takes into consideration the ingredients
and methods used.
2. How the dishes are presented. This takes into consideration the
differences in how various cultures and time periods served their food.
3. How the three mystery ingredients are incorporated into the dishes.
4. How the dishes taste. While each time period had differences in their
perception of what tastes good, we are dealing with modern palates, so keep
that in mind.