[tirrigh-heralds] General Heraldry Questions

Judy Harcus jharcus at prcn.org
Mon Aug 6 20:43:27 PDT 2007

One of my client's submissions was returned by Laurel for conflict -
with someone who had registered only a few months before.  The Lions
Blood Herald at the time assisted me in tracking down the person (which
was a lot easier since it was recent) and we got permission to conflict
and my client's heraldry was registered.  I managed to track down
someone who was in contact with the owner of conflicting heraldry in a
separate case (the owner of the heraldry being elderly and in an
institution) but although the person I contacted thought he could get
permission for me, I never did get the letter so we had to look at
something different in that case.

The older the conflicting registration, the less likely you are to track
the person down but I think it's worth a try.  You could try contacting
the kingdom herald where the device was registered from and see if they
can track down the person.  Try Googling the person's name (that's how I
found the second person).  Sometimes you luck out and you find them
mentioned on their branch website or somewhere that lists their local
branch (which narrows the search down a lot).

It should be mentioned that although many people will be quite willing
to allow you to conflict, others won't and some can't be bothered to
write a letter of permission.  So you may also want to think about other
options.

Good luck!
Alicia le Wilfulle
False Isle Pursuivant