[tirrigh-heralds] Heraldic Titles for Tir Righ

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Sun Apr 25 10:38:47 PDT 2010

Further to this, I just looked up 'silver (adj.) in the online MED
(Middle English Dictionary which is at
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/lookup.html for those who don't know).

The description at the top gives the variations: "(a) Made of silver; ~
foil; ~ plate, coins made of silver; souen ~ sede, fig. to give bribes;
(b) like silver; lustrous or gleaming like silver; also fig.; ~ scaled,
with silvery scales; ~ worm, a glowworm; (c) her. argent; (d) in
surnames and place names [see Smith PNElem.2.119]."

I found (c) interesting as it mentions being equivalent to argent in
heraldry.  Under (c) I found: examples of the word 'silver' used in
heraldic blazons including in the field (so it's not just referring to a
charge made out of silver).
"(c)  (1456) Doc.in Nicholl Ironmongers
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/hyp-idx?type=id&id=hyp.724.19991101T123123>
26:  Siluer, a cheueron of Gowles, sitte betwene three Gaddes of Stele
of Asure.  (c1460) Bk.Arms in Anc.5 (Hrl 2169)
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/hyp-idx?type=id&id=hyp.420.19990513T124835>
188:  John Olney beryth gowlys besaunte..ij leberdys sylwys crownyd wt
gowlys armyd wt asewre.  (c1460) Bk.Arms in Anc.7 (Hrl 2169)
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/hyp-idx?type=id&id=hyp.421.19990513T124835>
186:  [Party silver and gules with] ij bewerys sylwyr and gowlys
countergolorys.  (c1466) Paston
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/hyp-idx?type=id&id=hyp.768.19981211T105002>
2.552:  Which Raffe senior bare armes as his father, and Robert the
younger bare silver flowret azure.  (c1475) Exped.Edw.IV (Arms 2M.16)
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/hyp-idx?type=id&id=hyp.988.19991101T123123>
2a:  Therll of Northumberland..Cressant siluer; Therll of
Ryuers..scaleipp siluer. "

Alicia