[tirrigh-heralds] My Name, Device and Badge: My thoughts and findings so far - PART 2 - DEVICE

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu May 13 09:13:35 PDT 2010

Reconsidering myself...

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Teceangl <tierna.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reminder, muchly for myself, that the design in question is:
>>> Device: Per chevron azure and argent, two wolf's heads erased to sinister
>>> argent and a Celtic harp vert.
>
> Which I was going to conflict check...
>
> Irene Murdoch Fockxworth - September of 1984 (via Atenveldt): Per
> chevron azure and Or, two foxes' heads erased and addorsed argent, in
> base a fleur-de-lis vert.
> X.4.a. CD for changing the tincture of half the field (note this is
> really the only time one should think 'half the field tincture' - when
> the lines of division are identical).
> Okay, nothing for turning only one head around.  We need to rely on a
> type-only CD for that harp...
>
> [Per chevron throughout purpure and argent, two estoiles argent and a
> dragonfly vert. ]
> This device is clear of conflict with Katya Anna Sylvan, Per chevron
> throughout purpure and argent, two compass stars argent and a fox
> sejant gules. There is a second CD for changing the tincture of the
> charge in base, as the basemost of a group of charges two and one is
> considered to be half the group:
>   After much thought and discussion, it has been decided, for purposes of
>   X.4.d, e and h of the Rules for Submission, that the bottommost of three
>   charges, either on the field alone or around an ordinary, is defined as
>   one-half of the group...multiple changes to the basemost of three charges
>   under this definition will be granted a maximum of one CVD. (CL 9/6/90 p.2)
> [Letia Thistelthueyt, 12/01, A-Atlantia]
>
> We've got it.  X.4.e. CD and clear.

You have two changes to the charge in base, type and tincture.  That
matches the precedent I cited in the other message, two changes makes
a CD.

> Bleyddyn ap Rhys - March of 1992 (via Caid): Per chevron azure and
> argent, two wolf's heads erased argent and a drakkar sable.
> We've been over this one, right?  X.4.e. CD for type change of charge
> in base, X.4.h. CD for changing the orientation of the heads.

Type and tincture change again, guaranteed CD.

> Galen Ó Seanacháin - May of 2001 (via Atenveldt): Per pall inverted
> purpure, sable, and Or, two wolf's heads erased addorsed argent and a
> tree blasted and couped vert.
> X.4.a. field difference.  The precedent above doesn't say squat about
> how the field's divided when dealing with charges 2 and 1, so count an
> X.4.e. type change CD for the charge in base.

Only if I can justify a CD for a type-only change in base.  The
tincture matches.

[Argent, a fess counter-compony Or and azure between two crosses formy
and a lozenge sable.] The October 2001 Cover Letter noted "if a
real-world coat of arms is not considered important enough to protect
in the SCA, a CD will certainly suffice to remove any problem of
presumption due to the combination of name and armory." The issue of
presumption was raised based on the combination of the byname von
Kreuznach and the arms of Kreuznach, Argent, a fess countercompony Or
and azure between three crosses sable. There is a single CD for
changing the bottom most cross to a lozenge; however, as no evidence
was presented (or found) that the arms of Kreuznach are important
enough to protect, that CD is sufficient to allow registration.
[Margit von Kreuznach, 12/05, A-An Tir]

There!  Now it's clear.

- Teceangl
--