[tirrigh-heralds] Received AA, now I need A

Basil BasilD at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 6 20:36:05 PDT 2013

On 6/6/2013 5:42 PM, Runescope wrote:
>> You can keep the sun. The design is quite simple enough with it
>> in.
> Great!
>
>> However, you'll need to do a bit of redrawing, because at present
>> it's not clear if there's a primary charge group (the sun)
>> between two towers in a secondary charge group, or if it's one
>> primary charge group of a sun and two towers.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the confusion. I think this is what
> you're talking about?
>
> Primary Charge Group.

{snip}

> Soo, I think this means that the sun would be the central ordinary
> right?

An "ordinary" is one of those big, geometrical charges, like a fess or
a bend. A sun isn't an ordinary.

NB: you *can* have more have two types of charges in the same charge
group. Not three, though. So the sun and the towers can both be in the
primary charge group.

 > And it's not clear if the towers are part of the primary
> charge group because they are all the same size and in a line?

The problem is that their not *quite* as large as the sun, but not
enough smaller to be clearly secondary.

Being in line is not relevant to whether they're primary or secondary.

> So
> if I were to move the sun higher/make it larger, and/or move the
> towers lower, would that clear it up? If not, I would appreciate
> some suggestions on how to clear it up.

Moving the sun upwards, or the towers downwards, would not clarify
whether the towers are "co-primary" (i.e., primary along with the
sun), or secondaries. Not if that's all you did

The problem is the relative sizes. If you made the towers a bit larger
or the sun a bit smaller, you'd have no problem. Once you did that,
you could leave them in line (which I would think would look best), or:
A) if you made them all the same size you could move the sun up and
the towers down, or vice versa. However, you *probably* couldn't move
just the sun or just the towers; I don't think those arrangements of
primary charges are allowed, but I'll let others speak to that
B) if you made the towers definitely smaller than the sun, you could
move the towers up, or *maybe* down, but the sun would have to stay in
the center.

NB: you don't want to make the towers *too* small; half the height of
the sun would be about the smallest acceptable size.

I strongly suggest you go to http://rollofarms.antirheralds.org/ and
wander around and take a look at what's there. That should help you
get a better idea for heraldic art and layout. :-)

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Every dream has a blind side, a trapdoor that's tripped by doubt. --
Webb Wilder, "The Rest (Will Take Care of Itself)"

Peritia zmaragdus est; sapientia adamās est. Comparāvistine impensae
eārum nūper?

There IS more than one way to skin a cat, but they all leave you with
a dead cat. -- B. Dragonstrike