[tirrigh-heralds] Dimidiation question

Anthony Hawke, GdS anthony.hawke at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 6 20:38:41 PDT 2013

On 6/6/2013 8:21 PM, Basil wrote:

>> Wouldn't dimidiation be treated  the same (for all intents and
>> purposes) as marshalling?  It was an earlier form of the practise,
>> after all.
>
> Consider, for example:
> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/8956996946_6a5ca61902_o.jpg
>
> That could not be impaled, but it could be dimidiated. Now consider
> SENA A.6.F.1.c and A.6.F.3.c. These say that having a charge or
> charges straddle the palar line removes the appearance of marshalling.
>
> This looks like dimidiation is being ignored, but I wonder if that's
> the intention.

I don't see your example as dimidiation -- it is a counterchange, plain
and simple.  I would assume dimidiation if the 'charge' that is bisected
by the pale line is the left half of one charge and the right half of a
different charge.  A good example are the Arms of Hastings
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Hastings_Emblem_Vectorized.svg)
where you see two lions passant regardant each dimidiated with a hulk.

I still believe that marshalling, impaling and dimidiation are all the
same thing, just done in different eras and cultures -- and therefore
must be treated the same.

Lord Anthony Hawke; GdS, AA, WOAW
Protégé to his Excellency, Uilliam mac Aillén vhic Séamus, OP
/Facta Omnia Gloria Nihil
(The deed is everything. Glory is nothing.)/
*Per fess sable and Or, a sea-tyger maintaining a rapier inverted
counterchanged"*