[tirrigh-heralds] Dimidiation question

Basil BasilD at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 6 21:43:24 PDT 2013

On 6/6/2013 8:38 PM, Anthony Hawke, GdS wrote:
> On 6/6/2013 8:21 PM, Basil wrote:
>>
>>> Wouldn't dimidiation be treated  the same (for all intents and
>>> purposes) as marshalling?  It was an earlier form of the practise,
>>> after all.
>>
>> Consider, for example:
>> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/8956996946_6a5ca61902_o.jpg
>>
>> That could not be impaled, but it could be dimidiated. Now consider
>> SENA A.6.F.1.c and A.6.F.3.c. These say that having a charge or
>> charges straddle the palar line removes the appearance of marshalling.
>>
>> This looks like dimidiation is being ignored, but I wonder if that's
>> the intention.
>
> I don't see your example as dimidiation -- it is a counterchange,
> plain and simple.  I would assume dimidiation if the 'charge' that is
> bisected by the pale line is the left half of one charge and the right
> half of a different charge.

That's the most frequent case in mundane heraldry, but nothing says
you can't have the same charge in each half.

"Sable, a sun between a tower and (any ol' thing) within a bordure
argent, dimidiating Argent, a sun between (any ol' thing) a a tower
within a bordure sable."

Unlikely, I will agree, but not impossible. Considering some of the
stuff the SCA/CoH says "has the appearance of marshalling" I'm not
ruling out (nearly) anything.

> I still believe that marshalling, impaling and dimidiation are all the
> same thing, just done in different eras and cultures -- and therefore
> must be treated the same.

Well, I'd say that impaling and dimidiation are two kinds of
marshalling, but that's heading in nit-picky land. ;-)

~~Basil Dragonstrike

So, flying up in a human-rated Dragon (spaceship) is not gonna be an
issue. -- astronaut Don Pettit

And it's only the giving that makes you, what you are. -- J. Tull

THIS LIFE IS ONLY A TEST.
In the event of a Real Life you would be told where to go and what to do.
THIS IS A TEST. REPEAT: THIS IS ONLY A TEST.