[Hartwood] [rocks] Coronet

doerksen at island.net doerksen at island.net
Mon Sep 26 22:36:35 PDT 2011

Greetings, Master Cathal Sean from Halima al-Rakkasa.

The tale of "One Hundred Books" is a fine tale, O he who rules the
scriptorium. I shall give you my version of it...

'Twas a fine late afternoon of the Hartwood Armada (August of this
year, no less), a mere six weeks past. In the fading heat of the day,
amidst the distribution of Kjartan's mini-crossbows, much discussion
arose of shire-sized endeavours, the forms they might take, the people
they might involve, the skills they might require.

Then did Master James suggest the making of books, many books, and he
being one who has taught no few of us the skills of Coptic
bookbinding, naturally did talk flow to such an endeavour. As we
explored the concept, we realized that even those of us who had taken
his class were somewhat lacking in complete comfort in the needed
skills, whereupon Master James offered to teach us again, as often as
it would take for the learning to "take".

For these skills to be well-shared, many books were needed to be made
by many artisans; being that Her Highness Lenora of Tir Righ was
present and Coronet was in the offing, the purpose became clear: Books
for Tir Righ Largesse.

Stepped forth then Her Ladyship Doireann Dechti and His Lordship
Kjartan kraka with the offer of a wood chest to hold the books.
Discussion sprung up anew... How many books would it take to fill such
a chest? Perhaps... One Hundred!

Led by Master James (skill and enthusiasm), Seneschale Marina (leading
by example) and Mistress Cecille (A&S and organizer), the Cry was,
"100 Books for Largesse!"

Thus it was.

It came to pass that many hands came forward to make Coptic books in
many colors of covers, leaves and stitching, in two sizes (and 5
Oriental bindings). The small chest was made, painted with the
populace badge of Tir Righ.

Those who participated in this project presented this gift of largesse
to Their Highnesses Alden and Lenora in court at September Coronet,
with device and banners flying in the warm breeze of the day. Even the
dogs wore barding in the Hartwood colors.

It was a magnificent day when the Shire of Hartwood determined to
undertake the project, and a magnificent day when it was complete. May
the sun continue to shine on such efforts of united creativity.

Thus ends my tale; if it does not please, it did not happen.

yours in service,
Halima al-Rakkasa
--
http://www.island.net/~doerksen/